saltydawg

Monuments are not history

Rate this topic

111 posts in this topic

...until they are. 

“We urge the U.S. Senate to strip out this provision that would destroy the unequaled collection of monuments, Union and Confederate, that set Gettysburg apart as a great battlefield park and a top visitor destination,” said Les Fowler, president of the Association of Licensed Battlefield Guides.

According to Fowler, the legislation in question, HR-7608, would direct the National Park Service to remove all Confederate monuments, memorials, placards and statues at Gettysburg, Vicksburg, Antietam, Chickamauga, Manassas, Petersburg, Fredericksburg and 18 other battlefields and historic sites within six months.

Fowler says that these Civil War battlefields and their monuments and interpretive plaques have been preserved to help Americans and foreign guests visualize and understand the terrible ordeal that forged this nation. The monuments at Gettysburg from both sides allow us to interpret this national struggle for freedom as it continues today.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Desecrating the Southern man’s war corpse sounds necessary at this point. Sensibilities are important when being exposed to history. We should all want that history lesson to be safe from any representation of Southern men. Manassass is a confederate cemetery. Start there. We could check them for the flu after we dig them up.

Edited by FishinMortician

I despise progressives.  I really do.  The day they make a move on these monuments, I hope to God there’s a group there planning to defend them.  I’ll be joining them.  

It seems those that want Gettysburg stripped of the plaques,statues,etc are the illiterate ones.All they do is help the visitor understand THE BATTLE THAT TOOK PLACE ON THOSE GROUNDS...the leftist are truly out of their minds.these folks are not well

11 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

It seems those that want Gettysburg stripped of the plaques,statues,etc are the illiterate ones.All they do is help the visitor understand THE BATTLE THAT TOOK PLACE ON THOSE GROUNDS...the leftist are truly out of their minds.these folks are not well

Trump announced today that his nomination acceptance speech will take place at one of two places - the White House, or Gettysburg...I wonder if the left would attempt to cease on the opportunity to go after Gettysburg statues if he chooses the latter (on that day - which will be next thursday

Posted (edited) · Report post

The left has lost their collective mind. There’s no good argument to do that on those battlefields that isn’t a bunch of BS.  It’s ridiculous to try to sanitize history to placate a modern day narrative. This is different than a statue in a town square somewhere. The “traitor” argument (which we’ll hear from some jackass) doesn’t hold water in this case. Feed some poor people, send some black kids to college, do something that makes a difference in someone’s life for a change you leftist jack wagons!

Edited by MikeM58

1 hour ago, Stryper Snyper said:

If they come for Gettysburg it will be Gettysburg the sequel.  Not north and south but American vs communism.

It would be the coasts versus the flyovers. Good thing the latter has the most guns. 

And Texas will never fall.

It was unreal to me when taliban destroyed early temples and statues in Afghanistan. I already know what happened in civil war so these dont personally affect me. But I can see that it affects other people differently. Maybe some kid that hasn't read anything about civil war yet. 

11 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

I think we can differentiate between informational plaques and statues erected to glorify the confederacy. 

Apparently not...

This is what I just can’t wrap my head around when it comes to the New Democratic Party. They manage to take every issue in which their stance would be considered reasonable and go completely off the rails with it until it is worthy of only derision. Why let the radicals steer the ship every damn time?