JBreese1

I think my cat has mental issue's

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Our cat Pumpkin has a strange way of eating. We have an automatic feeder and water system for the cats. Pumpkin won't eat out of the dispensing tray. She climbs up on the water tank and fishes dry food out of the top of the dispenser. Sometimes she scoop's a hand full to the floor than bats it around chasing it before she eats it. We call it [ hunting kibble ].  She also bury's bottle caps [her favorite toys ]  in the food tray. We swear she is trying to kill the dog who also eats out of the dispenser.

pumpkin food.jpg

Edited by JBreese1

1 min ago, hwsmike said:

Maybe it’s got a bad spirit in it?

No, This is the sweetest, most affectionate cat we have ever had.

Jim

Some are just odd. My moms cat had kittens when I was a kid. ONE kitten would come to my room which didn't have a door, it had a woven afghan type rug my brother got somewhere over seas. Anyway this kitten would come and climb up and down that thing several times a day, then it ran itself head first into the wall one day and paralyzed itself and had to be put down.  Until my mom died she was convinced I killed it. Cat was just wacky.

7 mins ago, JBreese1 said:

No, This is the sweetest, most affectionate cat we have ever had.

Jim

I meant the food bowl!!!

8 mins ago, hwsmike said:

I meant the food bowl!!!

LOL, I may have to take it outside and shoot it with a .410  [The food bowl, not the cat]

Jim

Just now, JBreese1 said:

LOL, I may have to take it outside and shoot it with a .410  [The food bowl, not the cat]

Jim

Whew! Glad I clarified! 

PI have three and they all are distinct sentient beings. Leo, Stella and Panda. I didn't plan on Stella or Panda but I treat them as well as Leo. The boy can read my mind. I'm convinced of that. 

Keep your enemies close, but keep your cats closer. They are on a slightly different plane.

1 hour ago, JBreese1 said:

Sometimes she scoop's a hand full to the floor than bats it around chasing it before she eats it. We call it [ hunting kibble ].

Jim, I'm so glad Pumpkin found such a great home...I was so happy when you and Holly said you wanted to take two of them when we were finding kittens good homes :love:

Smudge does the same thing with her food - she will never eat out of a bowl like a normal cat...she flips a couple pieces out of the bowl and then chases them around the floor until she can scoop it up with her paw and eat it off her foot :squid: It's hysterical...never seen anything like it. Her and Pumpkin could, literally, be sisters :)

TimS

Pumpkin enjoys hunting - very normal for a cat. My cat used to find odd flies or soft shads on the basement tackle shelves, and distribute them through the house. I asked the vet about this and she laughed; "she's hunting."  I cut some lengths of surgical tubing, 4" or 6" long, and now she's usually happy to fish them out of her toy box and carry them around the house. Now and then, a fly still turns up on the kitchen floor.

Cats can also use toys as props in their interactions with preferred humans. My wife goes to bed early. Some nights, Ashley the cat will find a tube and carry it into the bedroom. She usually rings her collar to make sure it's noticed.  Roseann gets out of bed and talks to her, and throws the tube back in the box. Two minutes later, the cat and her toy are back in the bedroom - more attention, please. (This is not a cat who is short of attention.)  She doesn't do this with me, it's a nighttime ritual with Roseann. 

Her routine with me is mornings only. I get up after Roseann. Ashley intercepts me while I'm en route to the coffee pot, makes eye contact and falls over on her side. That's my cue to get down on the floor and scruffle her mask and neck until she rolls over. Depending on her mood, she may half doze while I massage her chest, or invite a tummy rub and then engage my hand in wrestling, as she would a fellow cat.  I never rate the gift of a tube toy ... very disheartening.  ;)