Bob k

Stan gibbs Bicentennial plug

53 posts in this topic

I have a bi- centennial Stan Gibbs lure. Never knew what it was. I just liked the look of it. Glad I didn’t fish with it. Apparently it is quite collectible. Anyone know what it is worth? I have the yellow version with Stan & ceil Gibbs 76 on the bottom 

Posted (edited) · Report post

put some tape on those hooks points..hook pointers will devalue a plug in a hurry...shouldn't speak for roy  , he may or may not reply regarding value...to many wind up on ebay for sale cause people only want to know how much they can get and their not interested in it's story or history as a collectable....in the past they have brought up to 1,000 to 1,200...but that was the past...not in today's market..unless you find a hungry buyer...this is my opinion.

Ps..that's the finish that has yellowed..it was once white.

Edited by capesams
info.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nice plug and everything that Steve said is pretty much right on. Stan made at least 24 and I know of 9 that are in collections today. This would be number 10. So not as rare as you think mostly compared to the few number of people who may be in the market for one. I have owned 4 at the same time. Prices have been all over the place but the last few years only a couple guys willing to pay at the top end and they have them now. Vintage salt water baits really took a big hit and prices plummeted. I don’t know anyone at the moment hot for one. I would always be interested  in addIng one back into my collection. Stan Gibbs was a good friend of mine for the last 15 to 18 years of his life. 

it’s the kind of bait that you don’t hang a number on it is something worked out between the seller and a prospective buyer  

I would like to see pictures of the top and other side. Condition is everything so please protect those hooks

just as a side note the Bicentennial is not the first or only Flag Plug Stan Gibbs made

Edited by Roy C

I buy any old fishing stuff I find. It started when I worked on a garbage truck and people would throw away old tackle boxes and poles. They all came home with me! The bi- centennial was in a tackle box I bought at a tag sale a couple years ago. 

9FCE2357-A3DD-4C63-B3D6-8EA56AD93401.jpeg

99FAEB02-2B73-447B-86CF-12F5D1CEF0A5.jpeg

B1B7F7EA-55C3-472C-A808-8745E3A26B9E.jpeg

6AF1A86E-DFBE-46A7-868A-27D02FD2EED3.jpeg

I absolutely love that it was found in a tackle box...somebody intended to fish it :clap:  Interesting plug :th: 

That’s outstanding 

when Stan made them he gave away to family and friends to fish. He never made a Collectable 

on July 4th 1976 he and a few friends destroyed at least 6 to 8 of these in a bluefish blitz so he told me. 

great find. Most that are found were still in the box on a shelf or in a dresser drawer 

And it’s signed too, that’s cool, if you ever do Sell it might wanna go Auction style, it should sell well over $1,000 but maybe you get a few people battle it out and go for $2,000 or $3,0000 or $10,000!!! ( might be a little dramatic but you get the point)

18 mins ago, stripedbassking said:

And it’s signed too, that’s cool, if you ever do Sell it might wanna go Auction style, it should sell well over $1,000 but maybe you get a few people battle it out and go for $2,000 or $3,0000 or $10,000!!! ( might be a little dramatic but you get the point)

Over a 1k? Highly doubt it. 

30 mins ago, stripedbassking said:

They were all signed this way

in my opinion this is not good advice. That’s the problem with coming on a forum like this to many people shooting from the hip. Throwing out numbers like $2000 to $10000 is just bad advice. If your not willing to make an offer please don’t make inflammatory comments. It only confuses people. 

Bob K didn't you already discuss this last year with several people at the SWLCC show? That’s the place and group of people who can give you the most honest straight forward answer 

I was one of the original 5 organizes of the SWLCC  and Pres for the first 7 years. If there is anything you want to know about these plugs or Stan just ask. He was a good friend and we talked about these plugs many times