Kent I

CAD Banana

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

With apologies to Professor Frech, here's a CAD model of the Banana that I've been messing with. It's pretty close to the profiles that are in the LI Fisherman article and the profiles of the Dave Anderson Banana (although the Anderson profile has a slightly deeper tail, presumably to accommodate the thru-wire). Didn't do this for any particular reason other than improving my understanding of the "loft" command in Fusion 360, which I use to make reference drawings for my own plugs. For a simple shape, it turned out to be a little more challenging than I expected. It would take a bit more work to get really fair surfaces, but the fact is that this plug is a lot easier to carve than it is to model (more relaxing, too).

Frech Banana from surfaces.jpg

Thanks. It’s tempting to redo this as an RP model with internal wiring and weights, but I had enough of that when I was working. 
What’s really nice is your wooden ones. 

I tried to get going in Fusion 360 just didn't get over the hump of learning how to use the whole thing. This is a really neat 3-D model you made. Now one thing that would be neat is if you can the volume measurement for this model. Then you could use that along with whatever medium you're using to make the actual plug and find out how much weight you would need for it and get a sense of whether it would be the right size for you. 

If this pandemic passes I am going to try again to learn Fusion 360. Use the 3-D printer at the community center which prints for free and then use that to make casted polyurethane plugs.

Thanks for posting. 

It’s pretty easy to find the volume in Fusion, as well as mass and Chief, so figuring out the weight required to make it float the way you want is no problem. Unfortunately,  it won’t tell you how the weight needs to be distributed, and won’t do combined cg’s, although those are easily done on paper. The way I use it is to build plugs until I get one that suits me, then model it so I can make patterns for consistent copies. I only do hand carved, so capturing the shape in CAD is considerably tougher than carving the original.

there's a good half doz. pre bananas that came before Jack's f banana...it's where Jack got his idea for his shape for his plug...Jack wasn't the inventor of the banana...like many he just put his own twist on it.

11 hours ago, capesams said:

there's a good half doz. pre bananas that came before Jack's f banana...it's where Jack got his idea for his shape for his plug...Jack wasn't the inventor of the banana...like many he just put his own twist on it.

That is interesting Steve. Never knew that. 

I find history to be useful, so I don't do the same stupid sh*t twice!

Nice job on the CAD model, one question, is that a hole in the top, or a reference point, or....?

Thats a hole in the top. I tried to follow the instructions in the LI Fisherman article as well as I could, and Mr. Frech calls for drilling a hole straight through, then plugging the top after the weight is added. The x-sections are pretty much conjectural, since the sections in the drawing don't hold out to the profiles, but I expect most of these plugs are just carved by eye, so it's pretty much irrelevant.

I don’t drill that all the way thru and plug after. I drill to a good depth and I weight it as a final process. I kind of know how deep it will need to be at this point. The weight is adjusted at the final moment before paint when the plug is pretty much done. It needs to sit in water with a specific attitude. So everything is done, sealed, tail wgt, hangers, hooks put on and then weight is figured out till it sits just right then epoxied in then paint and epoxy and add water. 

Hey SP - do I see chursed barbs on yr beauuutifull banana ???

And it is thru wired or done like the Prof did ???

the only through hole is the tail weight...if you put to much belly lead in and its already glued in one only needs to drill a small hole down through the back into the larger lead..and drill out small amounts of lead till you have the plug sitting where you want it...plug up the hole and finish the plug.

That’s actually how I’ve been building. Also, I’m using a square hole (made with a mortising machine) so I can direct pour without raising the cg ( the square profile contains more lead per inch, so doesn’t have to be as low to get the same effect...easy to calculate) and avoid having to file exposed lead and spreading lead dust in my shop. 

4 hours ago, frazerp said:

Hey SP - do I see chursed barbs on yr beauuutifull banana ???

And it is thru wired or done like the Prof did ???

Yes 4/0 hooks crushed barbs. Trying to get a fish off a hook in the dark standing on a rock with swell is hard enough. No I made my own hangers out of 1/16 stainless and epoxied  them in. The prof. used brass epoxied in. They tend to bend all over the place. These are going nowhere.