Clowsher

St. Croix Triumph Too Stiff: 9 Foot Surf Rod for 1-2oz Lures?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I already have a St. Croix Triumph Surf 9' but the action is way too stiff for the lures I use. The butt end is also way too long. I am looking for a rod that has more whip to help toss 1-2oz lures like Bombers, Redfin, Mag Darters, SP Minnows, spooks, etc. The heaviest lure I use is a SS sinking popper 2 3/8oz. 

 

I was looking at the Tsunami Airware Elite Surf 8'8" or 9'6" models rated 1/2-2oz and 3/4-3oz respectively. Would one of these be a good fit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve used the 8, 9 and 10’ triumph and never considered it too stiff for those kinds of lures. That being said, you’ll be totally happy with the Carbon Surf, Airwave Elite or ODM DNA 9 footer for anything 1/2 to 3ish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, ASrod said:

I’ve used the 8, 9 and 10’ triumph and never considered it too stiff for those kinds of lures. That being said, you’ll be totally happy with the Carbon Surf, Airwave Elite or ODM DNA 9 footer for anything 1/2 to 3ish.

Maybe I am just used to a whippier inshore rod... I just feel like the Triumph 9' doesn't flex when loading and resembles fishing with a broomstick. When I catch, it takes a 30"+ fish in current to even bend the rod. 

 

I will admit the Triumph 9' casts the SS sinking popper 2 3/8oz very well, but I primarily use 1oz spook, Bombers, SPs...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Clowsher said:

Maybe I am just used to a whippier inshore rod... I just feel like the Triumph 9' doesn't flex when loading and resembles fishing with a broomstick. When I catch, it takes a 30"+ fish in current to even bend the rod. 

 

I will admit the Triumph 9' casts the SS sinking popper 2 3/8oz very well, but I primarily use 1oz spook, Bombers, SPs...

That’s odd to me. I always considered it a softer rod compared to others. As for a bomber rod that’ll launch an SS popper, I’d either recommend the Carbon Surf 1/2-3 or 1/2-3.5 ODM DNA. If I had to choose between the two, I’d probably go with the Lami just because it’s a true 70/30 split and a way superior warranty than the DNA should something go wrong. I ended up selling my DNA when I found a Lamiglas Infinity surf which is optimal for 1/2oz all the way to 3.5oz. Love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 mins ago, ASrod said:

That’s odd to me. I always considered it a softer rod compared to others. As for a bomber rod that’ll launch an SS popper, I’d either recommend the Carbon Surf 1/2-3 or 1/2-3.5 ODM DNA. If I had to choose between the two, I’d probably go with the Lami just because it’s a true 70/30 split and a way superior warranty than the DNA should something go wrong. I ended up selling my DNA when I found a Lamiglas Infinity surf which is optimal for 1/2oz all the way to 3.5oz. Love it.

I'd go with the Lami, my buddy snapped his DNA over the weekend trying to lift a short blackfish out the water. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, genu said:

the 9'6 airwave is my backup plugging rod so its good for what you plan on using it for. I like that rod.

If you ever want to sell it, let me know.

 

Also will check out Lami Carbon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Clowsher said:

I already have a St. Croix Triumph Surf 9' but the action is way too stiff for the lures I use. The butt end is also way too long. I am looking for a rod that has more whip to help toss 1-2oz lures like Bombers, Redfin, Mag Darters, SP Minnows, spooks, etc. The heaviest lure I use is a SS sinking popper 2 3/8oz. 

 

I was looking at the Tsunami Airware Elite Surf 8'8" or 9'6" models rated 1/2-2oz and 3/4-3oz respectively. Would one of these be a good fit?

I think the AW 8’8” is a great rod but not for a SS 2 3/8 popper. I never fished the 9’6” but if I remember correctly, 2 1/2 is about it for that rod. I always found the SS littleneck series needs a rod slightly heavier than you may think. Not so much to cast it but to pop it. I am not referring to swimming it. That straight retrieve can be done easily enough as long as you can cast it. Given the rest of your lure selection, have you tried the smaller 1.5 oz SS? These handle very well on the 3 rods mentioned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redfin said:

I think the AW 8’8” is a great rod but not for a SS 2 3/8 popper. I never fished the 9’6” but if I remember correctly, 2 1/2 is about it for that rod. I always found the SS littleneck series needs a rod slightly heavier than you may think. Not so much to cast it but to pop it. I am not referring to swimming it. That straight retrieve can be done easily enough as long as you can cast it. Given the rest of your lure selection, have you tried the smaller 1.5 oz SS? These handle very well on the 3 rods mentioned. 

I didn’t realize (or forgot) a 1.5oz version of the SS sinking popper existed. I can’t imagine a fish would strike a 2 3/8oz and turn down the 1.5oz version... I’m def going light on the rod and will get a 1.5oz popper 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1.5 is a tremendous  caster especially on lighter tackle. It swims up top very well too especially with a feather off the back. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stick to 9', the 9'6" may be tempting but you lose more than gain. A 9 footer is a lot more versatile, better for back bays etc., in fact the 8'8" sounds more appealing. You want an inexpensive quality rod, look at the Star Rods , 8 and 9 footers, around $100, you think its a Lami, even looks like one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a bit short for you, but the 7’6 odm back bay is a rocket launcher up 1.5 for me.  Throws the small stuff excellent and has more than enough stopping power. Been my goto for a while now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.