Roccus7

4-Stroke Yamaha 115 Sounds Like a Hooter Buoy?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Learned Colleagues:

On quiet mornings when I shut down my 2013 4 Stroke Yamaha F115 it makes a single, quiet toot like a hooter buoy.  I consider it an auto "Drop your line" toot, but am curious as to its origin.  Anyone else heard this??  Anyone know the cause?

Edited by Roccus7

I have the same motor, same model and year, but mine doesn’t hoot when I shut it off. At least, I don’t think so, but I’ll listen to it more closely this week when I go out. Since I’m a little hard of hearing, it’s possible I just haven’t noticed it.

8 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Learned Colleagues:

On quiet mornings when I shut down my 2013 4 Stroke Yamaha F115 it makes a single, quiet toot like a hooter buoy.  I consider it an auto "Drop your line" toot, but am curious as to its origin.  Anyone else heard this??  Anyone know the cause?

maybe something with the air intake?

have heard a similar sound when my friend would shut off his KZ-1300,it would sound like a slight hoot ofair depressureizing.

he found out it was from the air filter.

HH

You sure it is coming from your outboard? Trim tabs and other items that may be shut down could also be targets if they are nearby. A motor resetting positions with some corrosion can certainly make noise and maybe you don't notice when the engine is running. 

If you said squeal at low idle or ticking noise when you turn it off, those are normal for this engine. The squeal / purr can be fixed with lube. The ticking at shutdown is a control valve resetting. But neither sound like a hooter. 

The fuel system is also very high pressure and needs to depressurize. Probably should not ignore this one and find the cause. 

Every once in a while my Suzuki will make that kind of sound while bouncing with waves on the drift. I assumed it was from water forcing air out of something when a wave hits, maybe the cooling system?

Is it coming from the engine, or is a warning horn in the wiring harness making a noise?

I had an evinrude 110 that would give a little chirp for some reason when the key was turned.  Could never quite figure it out but assumed it to be some kind of wiring issue that allowed the horn to sense a 'stall' as the key was turned

Coming from engine, not an alarm, not a trim tab, never occurs when the engine is running. 

I'm thinking the "air pressure" comments are correct, didn't make it today, but there was the occasional "deep sigh" on shut down.  Air coming into the cooling system when I shut down and the water runs out??

8 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

Coming from engine, not an alarm, not a trim tab, never occurs when the engine is running. 

I'm thinking the "air pressure" comments are correct, didn't make it today, but there was the occasional "deep sigh" on shut down.  Air coming into the cooling system when I shut down and the water runs out??

your engine farts lol

Those engines used to have an issue with a plastic drive shaft bushing squealing if not greased correctly iirc maybe as you turn your engine off and the drive shaft slows down it reaches the correct speed for a second to give a momentary chirp, not sure if they have since changed that design or not 

I second two rocks.  Some model yama did have issue with pulleys . They actually had alot fail . Not a big yama guy so dont know what model but I thought it was the 115 and the bigger v6 models.  

2 hours ago, Two Rock said:

Those engines used to have an issue with a plastic drive shaft bushing squealing if not greased correctly iirc maybe as you turn your engine off and the drive shaft slows down it reaches the correct speed for a second to give a momentary chirp, not sure if they have since changed that design or not 

Interesting, but not thinking this is the "issue", if it even is one.  Engine is off and there's no revs when the toot occurs, not a squeak, squeal or chirp.  It's just like a hooter or whistle buoy's "HOOT", albeit at a much lower volume. 

Like I said, today I was vigilant in listening and watching, and if there's any noise, it's air-related, occurring about 15 seconds after turning the ignition off.  The engine was out of gear for a few seconds prior to ignition shut off.

15 seconds after shutoff I agree it shouldn’t have anything to do with what I suggested tho in gear or not the driveshaft is always turning so that shouldn’t make a difference if it was a ds bushing but it’s clearly not, strange 

Did you ever figure this out? I have the plug and software to connect to the ecu but so do the dealers. Since it is so easy to do, I almost always start there. Any error codes are often easier to deal with that noises or other symptoms that may be from something 2-3 layers deep.

Example: I had my oil level increasing and thought, how could I ever figure out where that came from. Thinking likely a bad ring letting fuel in. However, there was an Error code was relating to over cooling. Over cooling was caused by a thermostat staying open at lower temps. Overcooling caused condensation in crankcase which was what increased my oil level. Recall for this part was a hotter thermostat. Problem solved. Our northern waters in the spring likely not anticipated. Anyways, you get the point. If you have not already, plug it in and get a read?

Interesting, I might get that connector and software.  Definitely good to have around.

Regardless, totally harmless quirk, related to air filling the void of cooling water running out after shutdown, probably coming through the P-tube.  

13 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Interesting, I might get that connector and software.  Definitely good to have around.

Regardless, totally harmless quirk, related to air filling the void of cooling water running out after shutdown, probably coming through the P-tube.  

I’ll try to find you the schematic and pm it to you. It is only two wires and you would use an odb2 auto connector and wire and your dummy plug on your ecu. Some guy in Croatia was also selling them for a while.