Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ebbtide231

How's the Montauk economy doing?

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

So with the summer here and the plague on some sort of hold, how's it going out east?

Motels have the usual summer business?

Restaurants surviving?

I haven't been out there in the summer since the 90's :) But would like to know how my favorite small town is doing.

7 hours ago, Ebbtide231 said:

So with the summer here and the plague on some sort of hold, how's it going out east?

Restaurants surviving?

I haven't been out there in the summer since the 90's :) But would like to know how my favorite small town is doing.

Things are much different now than it was in the 90’s...

Aint that the truth. Spent my honeymoon there in '77. Thought the 90's changed it too much :)

I see the difference every October.

I was wondering more about the pandemic effects.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Jersey?

:D :D :D

Kidding aside, I'm in Astoria and the neighborhood is hurting. No seating in restaurants and outdoor heatwave dining aren't all that great for business. Many are folding.

So Montauk is a hotel/motel town where restaurants are a major player.

Didn't know if they could survive and keep the place full enough on take out only.

Edited by Ebbtide231

26 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Everyone wants out the sespool , mr chin flu infested city . Guess where they all going 

I’m not sure what a sespool is and I have no idea who Mr. Chin is, and why he has the flu. Regardless, I hope he feels better and hopefully his cesspool won’t fail him during these trying times. Perhaps he was involved in the runway excursion at KMTP. Good reason for septic issues. 

Montauk has the busiest 7-11 in America what does that tell you. It’s not the same but you can make It what you want. Fall is still ok. A lot more restaurants in the last 10 years to accommodate all the influx of citydiots 

No, zero impact from what I've seen. Traffic is still heavy, stores all have lines and 150k sports cars zipping up and down every side street. It is truly the playground for the rich so NO covid has had most likely a beneficial impact on they're economy, just probably makes business a little more difficult to run... When I'm seeing converted hotel rooms selling as condos for 400k and thinking wow that's a good deal, just shows how little they have been affected.

Edited by outtasight

18 hours ago, Ebbtide231 said:

Restaurants surviving?

It depends who you ask

lodging is doing ok after a disaster start

restaurants are ok, but limited seating, I’d say they are off previous years numbers might be early to tell but there may be a couple who are closing up

bars are off due to very limited occupancy rules 

fishing charters ok

its been a very dry summer and Montauk Sometimes lives or dies by the weather.  good forecasts bring people out 

if work From home and school from home Carries into the fall theres an excellent chance more people stay out in the fall 

The East End dodged a bullet as that hurricane was originally forecasted to track right over the south fork. So now it’s one of the few places without the damage and loss of power that others up island are still dealing with. 

fingers crossed we don’t see another COVID outbreak in the fall.

Edited by JohnP

I am not a Montauk local, but local restaurants are absolutely feeling some hurt. It was a tough start for the season and a whole lot less foot-traffic with so much up in the air, but alot of people are trying to make the best of it now. Some places are better setup with pre-existing outdoor seating(or having the entire restaurant outside to begin with lol), but bars and indoor seating have been crushed. I know bc my brother in laws family has a restaurant out there. Yeah traffic isnt great but its usually way worse. I was able to run into Goldbergs and not wait online after a quick 2 hour drive from nassau. Thats not normal for a weekend morning. 

I don't know about M ,down here most restaurants have adapted putting in outdoor seating, although most places did have some already. Theres one outdoor  bar that is open for business, don't know how they're doing it, ALL bars are supposed to be closed.....Someone's getting payola.....More NY plates down here than ever before.

Was in MTK Friday am -- town was jumping.  BIG sign on the green 'You must wear mask if unable to maintain 6'" -- I was walking across the street from THE POINT B&G and a guy says, "Hey Buddy, your mask is down!" I was wearing a buff and pulled it down when I walked out of a shirt shop to breathe.  So, MTK was crowded and surprisingly, everybody was wearing masks... even outside, in town.

Gin Beach was not crowded at all, fished the jetty 2:30-5pm: 

-1 short flat

-1 sea bird 

-75 boats involved in a TRUMP flotilla

-1 prop. plane hauling a BIDEN 2020 banner to 'counter' the armada  ... people are crazy.. on BOTH SIDES

Real estate prices very strong throughout the East End.  Local public schools are seeing enrollments for this fall basically double.   Lots of summer home owners staying long term.  Many east end businesses are doing well and will continue to do well as 2nd home owners stay after Labor Day.

5 hours ago, Cpalms said:

Real estate prices very strong throughout the East End.  Local public schools are seeing enrollments for this fall basically double.   Lots of summer home owners staying long term.  Many east end businesses are doing well and will continue to do well as 2nd home owners stay after Labor Day.

My unreal-estate hypothesis:

Currently, Taxe$ are cheap(er?) out East - comparatively to suburbs, Rockland County 'same houses' paying 17-30k taxes -- increasing school enrollment means increased tax dollars needed -- you pay the extra 150K location markup out East for a home with minimal school tax....it's somewhat of a 'wash' -- however, increase the home price AND increase the taxes... the 'regular guy' is definitively out --- 

If I moved near a friend in North Sea area -- I would pay 10k LESS tax than I pay now -- 4 BR high ranch...but it would cost me 150k more for the same house... COULD (but can't) rationalize paying extra $$$ a month towards mortgage instead of taxes... :headscratch:

Edited by granpappyofpork
spell