JTR

DMF Public Comment Period For Expanding Commercial Striped Bass Fishing Day

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

• Striped Bass. DMF is proposing to add open fishing days to the 2020 commercial striped bass season. Beginning on September 1, 2020Tuesdays and Thursdays will be added to the commercial fishery. This will allow commercial fishing four days per week (Mondays – Thursdays). Then, effective October 2, 2020, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays will be added to the commercial fishery. This will allow commercial fishing seven days per week.

KTAMP

Kill Them All Management Plan.  

This is NOT a comm bash or rec versus comm comment by me.  I'm all for intervention to help any industry and families that rely on it, but at what point do we realize it's time to sacrifice the present to preserve the future?  

Posted (edited) · Report post

It won't matter, the price per lb is so poor this year on them and all fish to be truthful, it's not worth the effort. I doubt they will hit 50%  with covid restrictions tightening even more there will be even less need for restaurant sales. Unless they start letting commercial fisherman sell directly to consumers there won't be any effort increase. Heck even with lobsters being sold on the docks direct to people there is almost no effort this year on them. The lack of high flyers out in the usual areas is amazing. I was at Coxes on sunday, i saw 3 high flyers my entire time out there and we covered a lot of ground. 

Edited by canalsharpie

The probably wouldn’t hit 50% if there wasn’t covid. They are trending the wrong way. 

42 mins ago, ged said:

The probably wouldn’t hit 50% if there wasn’t covid. They are trending the wrong way. 

Covid or the quota???????????

If they really wanted to keep filling the quota they never should have made the asinine 2 fish from shore rule. They should just give all comm permit holders 30 tags a week. Fish where and when you want.

29 mins ago, TonyO said:

If they really wanted to keep filling the quota they never should have made the asinine 2 fish from shore rule. They should just give all comm permit holders 30 tags a week. Fish where and when you want.

Agree

Posted (edited) · Report post

Or we could realize that the fishery is declining, and that the need for striped bass in restaurants this season is much lower than usual and adjust. 

Edited by ged

I go out to eat a lot on Cape locations,  now out to MV.

I have  not seen stripers on any menu. 

Fare is sword, haddock, mahi, tuna.