Goldy

Heading to cape cod with family

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

For those of you that remember helping me earlier this year with my families first trip to cape cod I appreciate it.  The decision was to stay in Falmouth and we were supposed to head up in late June but then COVID hit and we had to cancel and then determine if we can head up another time.  

Well since MA and NJ are not on each other’s self quarantine list we made the decision to book a trip to the cape and escape the normal monotonous life of quarantine in NJ and head to cape. 

When we starting planning we had our itinerary set but COVID changed it all so instead of staying in Falmouth we will be staying in south Yarmouth at the red jacket resort.  

Now that we moved a little further down the cape I’m going to need different recommendations of what to do.  I have a 3yo so I’m sure my hands will be full.  

any suggestions on places to eat (need good fried clams) would be great as well 

I will also be bringing some of my fishing gear as the August new moon approaches.  Our visit will be from 16-21st.   Question for the locals, is it still worth it to pack my canal stuff (bike, heavy jigs etc) for at least one or two outings at canal or not?  

If I don’t bring my canal setup I think my standard jersey setup should work for south Yarmouth.   This is mostly going to be relaxing time with family but anytime we can fish that would be good. 
also, any tips for the area of where I’m staying would be great and any locals that want a jersey guy to hang with for a tide would be cool.  

also, should I pack for any shore pelagic fish?   I could live without Spanish mackerel as we just got done with a run here in jersey and their main reason to target is to eat.  Obviously I will not be doing that up there.  

thanks in advance to the great SOL family

The canal is short ride bring it.  The Red Jacket is between Bass River and Swan River wonder full location and plenty to see and do!

4 mins ago, CapeDave said:

The canal is short ride bring it.  The Red Jacket is between Bass River and Swan River wonder full location and plenty to see and do!

Im wondering if im allowed to fish that jetty by the resort?   

9 mins ago, CapeDave said:

Why would you not be??

In jersey where there a beach clubs on the ocean or guarded beaches they have stupid rules about people not being able to fish if they are swimming.   Its against the law usually but not worth the fight

11 mins ago, Goldy said:

In jersey where there a beach clubs on the ocean or guarded beaches they have stupid rules about people not being able to fish if they are swimming.   Its against the law usually but not worth the fight

Here in MA that river is a navigable waterway and you are not supposed to be swimming in it.

Just yesterday I had to remind a gentlemen who wanted to scold me off sailing up to my launching area.

Him you know that looked very dangerous there could have been little kids in there!

Me I announced my approach "whistle " then told the people in the river go one way or the other then thanked them as I passed.

Then asked him were  the brakes should be on my boat and have been sailing this particular river for close to thirty years and it is a boating beach,

not a swimming beach.  Some people just do not get it????

FYI the above was not in ether of those rivers.

Either side of Bass River are a good place to toss lines, plenty of spots up to Swan River as stated above.  Skippers has great fried food,  head down to Holly's Deli in Dennis for fantastic lobstah rolls.  Sesuit Cafe for breakfast if you do that kinda thing but also IMO has the best fried clams on the cape. 

Cream and cone

134 and 28 best clamplate and scallops 

Are ypu staying in Yarmouth?

Can you get away for a night?

To fish other area other than bassless river. 

26 mins ago, bassmaster said:

Cream and cone

134 and 28 best clamplate and scallops 

Are ypu staying in Yarmouth?

Can you get away for a night?

To fish other area other than bassless river. 

I'm staying at Red Jack in South Yarmouth, and I can absolutely get away for a night.  The wife is good to me.  

She knows I want to fish.. I had the Falmouth guys offer to take me out before COVID struck, so I'm hoping I can tag with some locals by Yarmouth.  Just no wetsuiting.   I'm easily look like a seal and will be shark bait.

I just need to know if i should bring waders as well.  And if i'm packing regular Bass stuff, as we fish in Jersey.. metal lips, gliders, shads, darters, bottles. etc.. I get the canal is a different ball game and I have that setup all take care of.

45 mins ago, Goldy said:

I'm staying at Red Jack in South Yarmouth, and I can absolutely get away for a night.  The wife is good to me.  

She knows I want to fish.. I had the Falmouth guys offer to take me out before COVID struck, so I'm hoping I can tag with some locals by Yarmouth.  Just no wetsuiting.   I'm easily look like a seal and will be shark bait.

I just need to know if i should bring waders as well.  And if i'm packing regular Bass stuff, as we fish in Jersey.. metal lips, gliders, shads, darters, bottles. etc.. I get the canal is a different ball game and I have that setup all take care of.

Pm me when ya here, and ill see if i can getout 

Bring needles bombers sp also.

Had fish on dannys and needles all night so.....

P.S.  paddle lock  your plugbag lol

3 mins ago, bassmaster said:

Pm me when ya here, and ill see if i can getout 

Bring needles bombers sp also.

Had fish on dannys and needles all night so.....

P.S.  paddle lock  your plugbag lol

Thanks for the offer, I will def shoot you a pm.  I'm starting to put the crate together for the cape.  I need to finish pouring my jig heads.  We fish a lot of hydro minnows up my way, I'm sure they will work up in MASS as well.  

Yes or no to waders and drytop?  I assume Yes, but I want to confirm

i wear waiders , better than getting splashed 

Yes i have hydro minnows mack ,white, that dark blue and dark chrome one,  wonderbread 

Make sure you have a bone colored sp or bombers 

And some needles 

24 mins ago, bassmaster said:

i wear waiders , better than getting splashed 

Yes i have hydro minnows mack ,white, that dark blue and dark chrome one,  wonderbread 

Make sure you have a bone colored sp or bombers 

And some needles 

Yup, I have them all on my well..  Both 6" and 6.5", I will be prepared.. Thanks for your offer.. 

Do you need anything from Jersey?  How about some good jersey Bagels!

Hey Bassmaster ... taking Goldy to the Flats? That's my stomping grounds. Waders are not needed IMO ... to hot. Plus if you go out at Lo tide you don't have to worry about flooding.

BTW Red Jacket is between Parker River and Bass River. There has been bass caught at night on the rivers, so don't rule it out. But I'd focus on the Northside ... or the Outer Cape if you can get away. Canal is heating up too