cashews121

Shad

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

They seem to be showing up on the South Shore of Long Island...I never target them,but my little cousin saw a video and now he wants me to take him. So please ,from the type of gear,line,lures etc,..thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Posted (edited) · Report post

normal trout spinning gear is what I used to use.

4lb mono,small crappie jigs,shad darts and even the small silver/black rapalas.

also you can watch the video and see what they are using.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

3 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

HH

This. Perfect. 5 lb shad on 4 lb line and little rod is a blast

7 mins ago, Capt Buck said:

This. Perfect. 5 lb shad on 4 lb line and little rod is a blast

oh goodness yes.

one of the supervisors at work and I used to go for the hicks after work.

we used 5 foot trout rods with 4lb mono and small jigs,,we used to fish at the boat docks and even catch them til 9 pm.

they would hit all night but we quit when we got sleepy.

some of them would be nearly 20-24 inches,ripping line and jumping like fools.

sometimes one of us would get one on and then get a blazing run and the dart and fish were gone.

had a blast doing it.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

I have caught lots of shad over the years using a 1/0 or 2/0 bait fish teaser. Fish it ahead of a small metal or an SP Minnow or Bomber. They have livened up some pretty slow days.

1 hour ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

HH

They didn’t really discuss what they were throwing,wasn’t the best video. I should have mentioned that I would be taking him to a pier so I would have to lift them out and swing em over the railing.. I don’t see that happening with trout gear..I saw some pics my friend sent me from last night,,some of them were over a foot long easily.

25 mins ago, cashews121 said:

They didn’t really discuss what they were throwing,wasn’t the best video. I should have mentioned that I would be taking him to a pier so I would have to lift them out and swing em over the railing.. I don’t see that happening with trout gear..I saw some pics my friend sent me from last night,,some of them were over a foot long easily.

oh I see.

I fished for them on shore and in rivers.

I guess you'd have to use maybe a LMB rig and add some weight.

I would go where I saw them swimming.

if you mean hickory shad then they like current,they also like to chase food like any other predator does.

got to youtube and look for hickoy shad vids,you can bet they are on there.

HH

Hickory shad can be caught using 7-9 ft schoolie bass rod and reel. A lure for shad that I have success with in the tri-state area for day and night is a 1/8 to 1/4oz jighead with a white curly grub. Wally mark got them for like 3 bucks for 10.

1 hour ago, Bluefishmaster said:

Hickory shad can be caught using 7-9 ft schoolie bass rod and reel. A lure for shad that I have success with in the tri-state area for day and night is a 1/8 to 1/4oz jighead with a white curly grub. Wally mark got them for like 3 bucks for 10.

What size grub? 

I assume you're talking hickory shad in the salt.  Any inshore rod will do.  Get ya some spec rigs, small metal and some teasers.  When they're in the inlet down here, can't keep them off the hook when im throwing a spec rig.

Sabiki is all you need.  Jones Pier is loaded with them.  A few years ago when I thought I could chunk with them for Stripers I was catching lots over there.   Chunking them didn’t work BTW.  I did eat one however and it was good.  A little bony but tasty 

Edited by Birdsnester

26 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

Sabiki is all you need.  Jones Pier is loaded with them.  A few years ago when I thought I could chunk with them for Stripers I was catching lots over there.   Chunking them didn’t work BTW.  I did eat one however and it was good.  A little bony but tasty 

Can't speak to chunking, but I know that, a few years ago, a lot of the boat guys were doing well livelining them for bass, although that usually happened in the spring,.

Anyone using them for bait, or keeping them for food or any other purpose, ought to remember that there's a 5-fish bag limit in New York.

I use a ultra light 7ft rod and 6lb mono I fish two shad darts or one small jig head with a grub tail are you chartreuse color grub tails  underneath a shad dart and a lot of times double up on shad works well on American shad also!
That’s a American shad I killed them this spring with that rig and setup.

330924CD-9041-443C-AEEE-8BE292F3FB79.jpeg

Edited by mkus