Ginzo2323

Any step by step how to fully seal a lure

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Heat in toaster oven, brush on UNTHINNED epoxy, then either wipe the excess epoxy off or leave it on and sand it before painting. I’m in the “leave it on and sand it” camp, but either way will work. This subject has been discussed at length before, and if you search you will strings that have quite a few other methods.

I’ve experimented with oil based kilz, seemed to be fine so far, and saves on a base primer coat. Dip and drip method. They’re plugs, not space shuttles were making here. :wave:

More epoxy. After the plug is assembled, lip, wire, hook hangers, tail wrap, I will run a small amount of epoxy around the lip and tailwraps to seal them up. After that has cured, I fill the hook hanger holes and let it run thru the through wire hole. Keep filling till the hook hanger holes are filled enough. I use an old egg carton upside down to hold the plugs while I do this.

I have some fully sealed plugs near to getting done, I'll post some pics to this thread when I have more time.

That’s great info for sure Ed. now I understand how a completely sealed plug can be done. Can’t wait for those pics. Thanks for all the info from all the guys.

Posted (edited) · Report post

20200811_184512.jpg.9b459d223a23dc7636ef34846da3e663.jpgHere's the swimmers, still taped up from paint, getting the eyes epoxied in. Once that cures, they'll be ready to remove the tape and have the topcoat of epoxy applied.

Edited by Ed White
Typingly challenged, and multiple pics and posts showing up.

You can see the epoxy around the lip, and in the hook hanger holes. The tailwrap has a coat of epoxy on it, then some plumbers epoxy over that to give the tail some shape. We all like a shapely tail. These will get bucktail flags on the back, and 1/0 VMC trebles with split rings.....these are small plugs meant for mullet or.peanut time.

Thanks ED really sharp lures. Thanks for sharing those pics and the tricks of the trade. Especially the plumbers putty to shape the tail.

On 8/11/2020 at 7:57 PM, Ed White said:

You can see the epoxy around the lip, and in the hook hanger holes. The tailwrap has a coat of epoxy on it, then some plumbers epoxy over that to give the tail some shape. We all like a shapely tail. These will get bucktail flags on the back, and 1/0 VMC trebles with split rings.....these are small plugs meant for mullet or.peanut time.

Nice lures,   plumbers epoxy,  is that stuff  like clay? 

Wondering if you can stuff that in hook holes.

Oh ya,  are u making your hangers  and twisting them for the hooks