Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Aug 10 - Aug 17

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. The sharing benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the third year with this kind of approach. Last year was great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know if the bite is good or is it not worth fishing at all.

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel source we have today at our disposal. 

 

Let hope this coming week is a vast improvement from last week.

Many were without power. The oceans were windy, rough dirty.

Bring on some moderate heat in the mid 80's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fished last night at the tail of an aquatic rodent  and what a surprise we had...

one blue one tog   but that is not the story of the day

 

 

as we fished from our spot , we saw a scuba diver headed our way, hugging the shore near our rock, well after diving momentarily, he breached right in front of us, and much like a...dare I say sperm whale, the only thing we saw was his blow hole......yes we stumbled across a nudist beach. After landing a blue fish resulted in scuba steve standing up and asking us about fishing, making no attempt to cover his sea worm, we agreed that this was just too awkward to fish at and left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, osprey47 said:

 

 

as we fished from our spot , we saw a scuba diver headed our way, hugging the shore near our rock, well after diving momentarily, he breached right in front of us, and much like a...dare I say sperm whale, the only thing we saw was his blow hole......yes we stumbled across a nudist beach. After landing a blue fish resulted in scuba steve standing up and asking us about fishing, making no attempt to cover his sea worm, we agreed that this was just too awkward to fish at and left.

:upck:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive seen a lot of small bait on the beaches so the small metals and teasers have worked well. Throw a larger plug into the mix and you can target larger fish not doing the filter feeding micro bait thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, osprey47 said:

scuba steve made no attempt to cover up his sea worm

 

46 mins ago, Bwt570 said:

Ive seen a lot of small bait - micro bait thing. 

For a minute, this looked like a double posting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, SlackTideBri said:

Mid August is also Needlefish with a black Redgill season. Always catch solid fish on that combo in my favorite boulderfield. 

I throw a black redGill with everything this time of year.  The Redgill/Mag darter, Redgill/SP, and Redgill/Red fin combos account for a ton of fish and many double headers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SlackTideBri said:

Mid August is also Needlefish with a black Redgill season. Always catch solid fish on that combo in my favorite boulderfield. 

Been doing well with a McKenna sluggo (like a rubber needlefish, but worked differently) and a red gill combo lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SlackTideBri said:

Mid August is also Needlefish with a black Redgill season. Always catch solid fish on that combo in my favorite boulderfield. 

Exotics like rudder fish, jack cavelle, northern king, chicken mahi, even drum show up in the super heated waters of late summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kooky said:

I throw a black redGill with everything this time of year.  The Redgill/Mag darter, Redgill/SP, and Redgill/Red fin combos account for a ton of fish and many double headers.

Redgill/Mag Darter is probably my favorite teaser plug combo.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Kooky said:

I throw a black redGill with everything this time of year.  The Redgill/Mag darter, Redgill/SP, and Redgill/Red fin combos account for a ton of fish and many double headers.

Black redgill during daylight hours?  Is this to immitate pipefish and or needlefish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

24 mins ago, Dreamland said:

Black redgill during daylight hours?  Is this to immitate pipefish and or needlefish?

I generally do not fish much during the day, except sunset/sunrise (even that is rare).  It does surprisingly work well even during those hours.  It really imitates any small bait, i have some other daytime teasers if they dont want the black but always first out of the bag.  I think half is the tail's swimming action and secondly is the reaction strike of having a larger lure "chasing" a smaller lure.

 

And red gills take a pretty good beating before needing to replace them, more then many other teasers.  Just watch out cause snapper blues love to bite the tails off. 

Edited by Kooky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Exotics like rudder fish, jack cavelle, northern king, chicken mahi, even drum show up in the super heated waters of late summer.

From the surf???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 mins ago, Garshark572 said:

From the surf???

I've got a bunch of those mini-jacks from shore over the years. Snappa blue-sized.

First time I saw a northern kingfish, it came out of the belly of a surf caught striper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.