Sstoryjr

Cleaning a reel that has been dunked in Saltwater

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi all I’m new to saltwater fishing and accidentally dunked my reel in the salt. I had it serviced the next day but would like to learn how to do it myself. I watched @scoobydoo video on how to breakdown a reel but was curious on how you actually clean the interior parts, gears, bearing etc of the saltwater that got in to prevent corrosion (mineral spirits, freshwater, corrosion x spray). What portions of the reel gets oil as apposed to grease? Also was wondering what the best grease to use is for both saltwater and freshwater use? Thanks all for the help I appreciate it:).

Edited by Sstoryjr

12 mins ago, avet4life said:

clean everything,

- grease and gear

- super light grease in bearing or just oil .

====

super lube should do just fine.

Thanks:) what do I clean everything with to get salt water off

18 hours ago, Sstoryjr said:

Hi all I’m new to saltwater fishing and accidentally dunked my reel in the salt. I had it serviced the next day but would like to learn how to do it myself. I watched @scoobydoo video on how to breakdown a reel but was curious on how you actually clean the interior parts, gears, bearing etc of the saltwater that got in to prevent corrosion (mineral spirits, freshwater, corrosion x spray). What portions of the reel gets oil as apposed to grease? Also was wondering what the best grease to use is for both saltwater and freshwater use? Thanks all for the help I appreciate it:).

Hey man!

I think the simplest way to go about cleaning reels is with a toothbrush and dawn dish soap...and an immidiate and thorough freshwater rinse. 

(i'll use 100 isopropyl to speed drying and displace any water still in bearings..beware on some painted surfaces as it may act like paint thinner)

Bearings are a pain....any way you slice it...

Especially lotsa Daiwa bearings that don't have shields that are remove and replaceable....

My favorite although messy.... I use a dental irrigator (miniature power washer) with the rubber needle tip....That have ones that screw into the faucet that are cheaper and would work just fine vs the electric Water pik )  Soapy water or a little simple green and bearings are usually as clean as you'll need them for a spinning reel....

To really get bearings clean.... (mainly applies to spool bearings on  baitcasters )

Do that.... run em through an ultrasonic...

Then use a high speed rotary tool to spin them......(Ernie from Bearing Bad makes a bearing pulling tool that also holds the bearing tight while you spin up the dremel and touch a hair wheel to the outer race of the bearing (spins the bearing) 

Apply oil or Tungsten Disulfide here.

Lubing spinners

For Freshwater...lightly oil bearings and shafts.  Grease on gearing.

Fore saltwater when they offer no sealing...... Bearings in need of protection...I'll cut grease with corrosion x oil (Lately it's been corrosion x grease or Aquashield grease cut with corrosion x oil)

((I think I've settled on aquashield being my favorite grease..but be careful with it...it's a pain to work..  Make sure where it goes is where you want...I mix up 3 versions....1 Un cut, 1 cut thick....1cut thin.....I use them as needed....))

Un cut for gears

Cut thick for oscillation and rubbing parts

Cut thin for bearings.... (it's like a gel consisitency)

Grease gears

Grease frame mating surfaces

I grease my line rollers....with cut grease...and add a drop off corrosion x oil as needed...

Tsi 321 is great as well....works great on bushings.

ANTIREVERSE CLUTCHES / one way bearings...... UGHhhh

Many come greased (non shimano)   But I've seen many greased clutches fail in the cold......Even on brand new reels......I'd just leave the clutch alone.......if you don't have an ultrasonic...many are hard to service if you mess it up...q tips can't the lube off the tops and bottoms of the cylinders...and that's what causes failure...

Applying a lubricant that doesn't play well with the factory clutch lube can cause gumming of the lubricant and failure.

Good luck cleaning that out...

This is the ultrasonic I've been using for the last year... https://amzn.to/2Y2Rup1 (exactly a year to the day oddly enough)

Do not ever use Dawn Commercial degreaser on fishing reels.....It'll completely strip off any and all anodizing....  Kinda looks cool on my Tranx 500 drag knob and spool tensioner lol

"Grease on load bearing surfaces, Oil on non-load bearing."

Load Bearing: Gears, metal on metal, and metal on leather drag washers, the very tip of the anti-reverse dog.

Non load bearing: Bearing(s) and Bushings, if applicable: all level-wind parts, bails and related parts, anti-reverse dog pivot.

I've always used white lithium or red synthetic wheel bearing grease, and 3 In One sewing machine oil.

In 60 years and counting, I've yet to have a lube related failure on any of my reels; freshwater or saltwater.

Edited by afishhunter

On 8/10/2020 at 10:51 AM, scoobydoo said:

Hey man!

I think the simplest way to go about cleaning reels is with a toothbrush and dawn dish soap...and an immidiate and thorough freshwater rinse. 

(i'll use 100 isopropyl to speed drying and displace any water still in bearings..beware on some painted surfaces as it may act like paint thinner)

Bearings are a pain....any way you slice it...

Especially lotsa Daiwa bearings that don't have shields that are remove and replaceable....

My favorite although messy.... I use a dental irrigator (miniature power washer) with the rubber needle tip....That have ones that screw into the faucet that are cheaper and would work just fine vs the electric Water pik )  Soapy water or a little simple green and bearings are usually as clean as you'll need them for a spinning reel....

To really get bearings clean.... (mainly applies to spool bearings on  baitcasters )

Do that.... run em through an ultrasonic...

Then use a high speed rotary tool to spin them......(Ernie from Bearing Bad makes a bearing pulling tool that also holds the bearing tight while you spin up the dremel and touch a hair wheel to the outer race of the bearing (spins the bearing) 

Apply oil or Tungsten Disulfide here.

Lubing spinners

For Freshwater...lightly oil bearings and shafts.  Grease on gearing.

Fore saltwater when they offer no sealing...... Bearings in need of protection...I'll cut grease with corrosion x oil (Lately it's been corrosion x grease or Aquashield grease cut with corrosion x oil)

((I think I've settled on aquashield being my favorite grease..but be careful with it...it's a pain to work..  Make sure where it goes is where you want...I mix up 3 versions....1 Un cut, 1 cut thick....1cut thin.....I use them as needed....))

Un cut for gears

Cut thick for oscillation and rubbing parts

Cut thin for bearings.... (it's like a gel consisitency)

Grease gears

Grease frame mating surfaces

I grease my line rollers....with cut grease...and add a drop off corrosion x oil as needed...

Tsi 321 is great as well....works great on bushings.

ANTIREVERSE CLUTCHES / one way bearings...... UGHhhh

Many come greased (non shimano)   But I've seen many greased clutches fail in the cold......Even on brand new reels......I'd just leave the clutch alone.......if you don't have an ultrasonic...many are hard to service if you mess it up...q tips can't the lube off the tops and bottoms of the cylinders...and that's what causes failure...

Applying a lubricant that doesn't play well with the factory clutch lube can cause gumming of the lubricant and failure.

Good luck cleaning that out...

This is the ultrasonic I've been using for the last year... https://amzn.to/2Y2Rup1 (exactly a year to the day oddly enough)

Do not ever use Dawn Commercial degreaser on fishing reels.....It'll completely strip off any and all anodizing....  Kinda looks cool on my Tranx 500 drag knob and spool tensioner lol

Hey @scoobydoo can you cut the grease with TSI321 or does TSI321 not work well with grease? Thanks

Aside from a toothbrush, soft pipe cleaners and Q-tips are also useful. And for applying grease, a soldering flux brush.

Bearing cleaning, I use Ronsol lighter fluid. Squirt the bearing, put it on a pencil or dowel just tight enough ,and give it a few spins.

Edited by Steve in Mass

On 8/14/2020 at 0:50 AM, Sstoryjr said:

I made this mistake with a couple of old round Ambassadeurs that were not mine. Went from blue to silver

I disassemble the reel and place every thing in a strainer basket and place it into the dishwasher and run it through a wash and dry cycle..Assemble and lubricate all the moving parts  with grease and oil...

Dunked requires major cleansing  ...but if your just throwing from the beach a good fresh water rinse or leave it out in the rain not near the ocean and you shouldnt have to many issues a good lube here and there ....LEVEL WINDS WILL REQUIRE  CONSTANT CLEANING AND LUBE .THE LEVELWINDS NEED MUCHO ATTENTION