John P

Time to talk about ALBIES?

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 8/23/2020 at 8:49 AM, John P said:

Were you around Fishers when you saw the Blues and Bonitos? Sounds promising

No, but I've seen pictures of bonito caught by the dozens around fishers the last week.

I have been mostly shore fishing but did take the boat out to see if I could chase down some schools, but didn't see any surface activity other than a few chub mackerel breaching. I found those schools concentrated in one area so I fan casted around with jigs and surf candy teasers and caught a bunch of those little footballs. Very fun especially on the double hookups. Some people don't eat them but they are becoming one of my favorites.

63FF736B-196C-467E-A203-F624E66611A5.jpeg

7E4A488A-4CFF-421F-B572-AFFDE8437462.jpeg

D012B05D-FB07-4580-A783-D7A69026840C.jpeg

Edited by Sir Defyable

9 mins ago, Sir Defyable said:

No, but I've seen pictures of bonito caught by the dozens around fishers the last week.

I have been mostly shore fishing but did take the boat out to see if I could chase down some schools, but didn't see any surface activity other than a few chub mackerel breaching. I found those schools concentrated in one area so I fan casted around with jigs and surf candy teasers and caught a bunch of those little footballs. Very fun especially on the double hookups. Some people don't eat them but they are becoming one of my favorites.

63FF736B-196C-467E-A203-F624E66611A5.jpeg

7E4A488A-4CFF-421F-B572-AFFDE8437462.jpeg

D012B05D-FB07-4580-A783-D7A69026840C.jpeg

What do the chubs look like when they are blitzing? I saw a lot of weird surface activity the other day where the water just kind of bubbled up all at once in like a 10 foot circle. Wasn’t sure what it was. I did catch one small bluefish out of one of those blitzes.  

I was at FI today.  Didn’t see any bonito.    Chub blitz along a mostly straight line.   Very load sound.  Churn up the water along that line.  Very unique.  

12 hours ago, notime said:

I was at FI today.  Didn’t see any bonito.    Chub blitz along a mostly straight line.   Very load sound.  Churn up the water along that line.  Very unique.  

Yep you usually hear them before you see them. Sounds like somebody spraying a pressure washer in a fan pattern right into a bucket of water. They ball up the bait and feed in a very coordinated pattern. If you get close in a boat you can see they are cycling through the bait school like a harvester tractor:

John Deere Machine Combine Harvester Agriculture Tractor, Grain ...

predator fish are amazing in how they have refined the way to hunt bait. Many if them work together to keep the bait pinned so they can take turns running through what they are eating. Bunkers are sitting ducks for bass and blues.

How far offshore did you run into these guys?  Weather this weekend could screw up things on the water including the remains of Laura getting here next week. 

13 hours ago, John P said:

How far offshore did you run into these guys?  Weather this weekend could screw up things on the water including the remains of Laura getting here next week. 

About 30 miles S of Montauk looking for Bluefin, they were giants though. That was the smaller of the two, the other looked like something you'd see at Harker's Island.

Edited by NPV

Out again on Friday after storm.    Was an exploratory trip looking for some new bottom fishing spots.   But did look around for a bit and no top water action at all.    Did see a school of bunker and could not find snagging hook.   Rigged one up as best I could but lost sight of them.   It was very windy and fast drift.    Didn’t see any hint they were being bothered.    

Got Albies this weekend inshore, earliest I've ever ran into them for sure. Should blow open this weekend.

Edited by NPV