John P

Time to talk about ALBIES?

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Title says it all, I would like to hear if there has been any real sightings or catching Albies in  the sound to watch hill?  If not  now  when ?,water is perfect temp and the weather is calm.  I will be on the look out tomorrow morning and from now on. I will check back with a report,good or bad.

It's the time of year I dream of fat Albert's and bones. I was forced to take two of four weeks of vacation before July started this year. So I have a limited amount of days to fish the sunrise bite. I hope I run into some this year.

Ran into a school of bonitos out of RI a few weeks back but no huge numbers, they popped up and disappeared faster than they appeared 

Generally the bones seem to come through, followed by the Albie's a good bit later 

Looking at my logs for the past 5 seasons, I’d say we have another month until they show.

Bones usually start showing strong the 3rd week of this month.

Was out this AM schools of small bass and cocktail blues. No Bones or albies.  I was west of fishers. I didn't remember the normal arrival  time for the bones or albies,except I knew the Bones come first .

Agree it is still early for albies based on my logs.    I’ll be in western RI for a week and hope to get out at least for a day or two.  Probably early for albies but should be good for bonito.     Last year was an off year for me and albies.   Probably worst since I’ve been targeting them over the last 5-6 years.    Hoping this year is better.     I plan to put more time in this year, course I say that every year. 

Got my first Bonito of the year on the 17th, feeding along hundreds of bluefish so it was a miracle to hook into it. 

Got into Spanish from shore this morning, but this time it was 50/50 bluefish and Spanish. A few glimpses of bonito where I was but nobody I saw hooked any. Almost everybody with a jig caught a Spanish but they were pretty small, like 14-16". I caught one over 20" out of six total. Peanut bunker were in very thick and the feeding frenzy was happening literally 6" from my belly while in my waders. Good sign for the rest of the season? Let's hope so