NewAtIt

Snakeheads in Upper Delaware

32 posts in this topic

Wow. didnt think they would make it up so far. But I would think they would never survive in the west branch as the water is a steady 50* or less. They cant survive in cold water from what I understand. But not positive on that thou.  :headscratch:

18 mins ago, vce12342000 said:

Wow. didnt think they would make it up so far. But I would think they would never survive in the west branch as the water is a steady 50* or less. They cant survive in cold water from what I understand. But not positive on that thou.  :headscratch:

I’m no expert on snakeheads. I did a quick google search on them and discovered that they are very tolerant of cold water. Some species may prefer warmer climates but the “Northern Snakehead” unfortunately does just fine in ice covered rivers and lakes. They are found in Russia and North Korea and those countries get pretty darn cold so they will have no problem at all surviving in the upper Delaware River. The department of fish and game needs to start electroshocking that stretch of river before it gets really out of control. This is some really bad news but for the year 2020 I guess this is just “par for the course.” :beers:

13 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

I’m no expert on snakeheads. I did a quick google search on them and discovered that they are very tolerant of cold water. Some species may prefer warmer climates but the “Northern Snakehead” unfortunately does just fine in ice covered rivers and lakes. They are found in Russia and North Korea and those countries get pretty darn cold so they will have no problem at all surviving in the upper Delaware River. The department of fish and game needs to start electroshocking that stretch of river before it gets really out of control. This is some really bad news but for the year 2020 I guess this is just “par for the course.” :beers:

well I guess the native fish better welcome some new guests soon :laugh::laugh:

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, oneeyewilly said:

Lovely, Another illegal immigrant we don’t need.

Nearly all of the gamefish in the Delaware are introduced.

Actually, I take that back, all "game fish" are introduced.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

2 hours ago, Flip n Dip said:

Electrofishing?

For what good reason?

1 hour ago, vce12342000 said:

well I guess the native fish better welcome some new guests soon :laugh::laugh:

I suppose you are refering to some tiny suckers, darters, and a few species of bullheads like white catfish?:)

I know you already know rainbow trout, brown trout, and bass are introduced.

Beast , No kidding ? I didn’t know that , I figured smallmouths , pickerel ( walleye) the catfishes , muskies ( true strain), it would seem to be at the limits of their traditional range , pike , pickerels , grass ,redfin , largemouths , carp , assorted bait fishes , stripers in the tidal portions , I know they’ve extended their range , and I’m gonna say the odd brook trout ,eels , shad , rockbass etc. Now I’m curious, I’m gonna research it a little , I’m not disputing you , actually , I appreciate you pointing that out . You sound like a knowledgeable guy. The Big “D “ is one of favorite places to visit. Thanks 

2 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Nearly all of the gamefish in the Delaware are introduced.

Actually, I take that back, all "game fish" are introduced.

I think you make a valid argument with the fact that just about all game fish were introduced. Very few of the game fish we enjoy catching are native to America. In many ways non native species of fish including “invasive” species have been of great benefit to recreational fishing and the economies in which it supports. If not for invasive species who would ever go to the Great Lakes to fish? All the game fish there were introduced and are being supported by invasive species. Lake trout are the only “game fish” I can think of that are natural to the Great Lakes. Who would ever travel there to catch lake trout?? Invasive species can be much more of a positive than a negative.

I am not a fish biologist and my knowledge of snakeheads is very limited to what I have seen on tv or read on the internet I don’t claim to be an expert but from what I understand about them is that they do not live in harmony with other species of fish that anglers enjoy catching. If left unchecked they can have a very detrimental impact on game fish populations. I don’t see any good that can come from that. Maybe something good will come from a growing snakehead population, I just don’t see it yet.

6 mins ago, plugchucker said:

Another awesome gift from Asia. Corona, snakeheads, spotted lantern flies. Just awesome.

Don’t forget the Asian long horned beetle. Did a number on our maple trees.