Flukeduke

Picky stripers

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Here's a question for the sharpies out there. 

Went fishing tonight, the weather was absolutely beautiful out middle of the incoming and fish busting everywhere on what looked like 2-3" shiners. 

Got 1 hookup on top water and a teaser, fish spit it at my feet, didn't see which lure he ate. 

My question is I must have throw a thousand casts for that 1 hookup and everything in my bag.  What could I have been doing wrong or what can I do right to get these fish to eat my lure? Tricks, suggestions, lure, any tips are well appreciated.  

Just keep on doing what you are doing....Cast the lure and then retrieve it slow, then retrieve it fast. Then incorporate a shot jerk and then a long jerk.. The main thing is to keep the lure moving and you will catch fish..Good luck, Sy.. 

I’m far from a sharpie. I had a similar situation a couple nights ago. The next day I went and bought 3” Zman and Kieitech swimbaits and fished them on a 1/4 ounce jig head. It did the trick for me the next night.

Go to a very light leader with little or no terminal gear.  10-12 lb test.  Tie direct.  

12 mins ago, DZ said:

Go to a very light leader with little or no terminal gear.  10-12 lb test.  Tie direct.  

This is what I was thinking.  The water was clear and water like a mirror. My thoughts were possibly fish were shying away from my line and TA clip?

Its fishing, many of have cast all night on the perfect night and never had a hit. If your a fisherman you just make some adjustment and do it again. Just enjoy it...............

A fisherman is a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other end of the line.

I would go lighter all the way around,lighter gear and lures,mostly small rubber.

heck,even going with freshwater gear will make a difference,some 4-5 inch rapalas would have done the trick in plain silver/black.

if the fish are that small,i personally don't fish for them,only in the late fall.

that's when the big rigs get put back on the rack and the light gear shines.

HH

Posted (edited) · Report post

That shallow.... 3 inch pearl tsunami swim shad.... or small kalins jig head with 3inch or 4 inch gotcha curly tail

Edited by Fishy4335

11 hours ago, Flukeduke said:

Here's a question for the sharpies out there. 

Went fishing tonight, the weather was absolutely beautiful out middle of the incoming and fish busting everywhere on what looked like 2-3" shiners. 

Got 1 hookup on top water and a teaser, fish spit it at my feet, didn't see which lure he ate. 

My question is I must have throw a thousand casts for that 1 hookup and everything in my bag.  What could I have been doing wrong or what can I do right to get these fish to eat my lure? Tricks, suggestions, lure, any tips are well appreciated.  

I am not a sharpie and not a full time surfcaster. Mostly a boater and kayak. I go out fishing and get lucky occasionally.

Here are some views from what us boaters and kayakers see at night.  A surfcaster may find it useful. I am shallow and within a good cast from shore. This is a top view using a side scanner, I am getting left and right views.  The bottom scenario is what I see from Maine to Jersey. Bass of varied size huddled together. 

I took out 6 anglers over the weekend. I am a plastic guy but some in the party can't cast. So with a 1/4oz weight I floated eels out and drifted in6-12'. You think it was fast fishing with eels?  Nope. There was a ton of squid around with the occasional pod of pollack.  So much bait the bass fed when they wanted too.  Its at night so no mayhem going on.  Its bass corralling up the bait and eating when they choose.  More often then not large bass are with small bass. Not all the time but for me, its often. 

Patience got rewarded for all anglers with a few getting new personal bests. Squid looked to be 6". Pollack can be 6"-10". Sometimes throwing something larger is worth it.  It's not the rule all the time but sometimes it works and you can get rewarded. Sometimes slowing things down helps too.  We all get excited when screens are lit up and bass are rolling.

B59F9ECD-EB77-4BFB-ADAA-5E8E53AC7D71.jpeg

BTW I know its fishing not catching  nothing wrong with asking for some advice to try and sharpen your skills, or else all you know is what you know. Thanks Fellas! 

Looked like fish our not keyed in.  This is when you stop casting and start observing what the bass our doing.  Not enough info given but most likely the bass our just opening there mouths and swimming through the bait schools.  Just another way bass feed. Sounds what we call a spearing bite.  Few ways to fish it.  But no tip from me will help you as these conditions will change faster then me writing on this post.