Bendmar18

Lost and Never Found

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

What's the worst thing you've lost on the river or maybe gotten stolen from you that is fishing related? Mine was a sage vxp that I either left on the river, which doesn't make sense...or got stolen out of my car while I was getting an oil change...

Posted (edited) · Report post

When I first got back from Germany in 2013, all I owned was a tackle box with a bunch of new plugs, tons of fake bloodworms and various terminal tackle. Someone decided to take it from my pier bench and run with it. Sucked moose balls.

Edited by ASrod

On a charter boat out in the Keys bottom fishing. 

Took off RayBans to wipe them clean. Got a really big hit and they got knocked over board.  

Watching $200 sink was bad.  But fishing for 10hrs in the subtropical sun with no shades was far worse.  

I have blue eyes to begin with and am sensitive to bright lights anyways.  Just pure agony. 

2 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Took off RayBans to wipe them clean. Got a really big hit and they got knocked over board.  

Watching $200 sink was bad.  But fishing for 10hrs in the subtropical sun with no shades was far worse.  

I have blue eyes to begin with and am sensitive to bright lights anyways.  Just pure agony. 

X2 Costa

x1 Smith

X1 Maui Jim

Sage 389 Lightline with Hardy Featherweight and my name was on the rod. Someone on the East Branch of the Delaware found it (I firmly believe).  

Edited by grousechaser

A beautiful Buck filet knife with a wooden handle and leather sheath that my dad gave me. Knocked it right off the pier. :(

Edited by SacoStriperFisha

Flipped my kayak in the flow of a saltwater pond. Lost sage 8 weight fly rod, Lamson fly reel, aquaskins surfbag loaded with home made plugs, flies, leader, pliers etc. Spin rod was tethered luckily. On a separate trip my father dumped my VR50 and a Diawa emcast rod over the side of my boat into the blue. All days you make it to bed safely is a good day, but those two days stung.

Edited by BNickW

A set of rods (5?) were leaning against a fence when packing the car. Was fishing with a friend and 'thought' he put them in since he lean them against it. Looked on the ground around the car and there is nothing. Drove about 5 or so min and I ask him I didn't see the rods in the car and asked if he put them in. Look in the back, nothing. Drove right back and they were gone.

22 mins ago, BNickW said:

Flipped my kayak in the flow of a saltwater pond. Lost sage 8 weight fly rod, Lamson fly reel, aquaskins surfbag loaded with home made plugs, flies, leader, pliers etc. Spin rod was tethered luckily. On a separate trip my father dumped my VR50 and a Diawa emcast rod over the side of my boat into the blue. All days you make it to bed safely is a good day, but those two days stung.

Damn good attitude. Life is too short to stress about lost gear. 

Old man made good by replacing the dropped set up. I have had a couple light rods I like sense then. None will ever fit like that Diawa.

My uncle gave me my first surf set-up, a Penn rod and reel, which I enjoyed for many years on the shore and boats. After much abuse the rod needed a rebuild, so I stripped it down and gave it a new set of ceramic guides and an epoxy paint job. Soon after, my dad passed away, and somewhere in the process of leaving my apartment and making improvements to his house so I could move in, it got left behind or swiped by some contractor. It was my first rebuild, and I never got to fish with it.

5 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I’ve donated a pair of Oakley’s and a leatherman wave to Dave Jones locker.

Came back from Germany in 1972 with a beautiful little Puma sheath knife. I bought it in a sporting goods store in Frankfurt. It was a memento of my trip, along with a few nice pipes I had picked up in Amsterdam.

Second or third night home a friend suggested we go out to the shore and walk the beach. And that’s where that knife slipped out of the sheath (how I will never know) and became one with the ocean. When I realized what had happened we had been walking for almost an hour. Backtracked, but no joy.

A few years late I was riding my Sportster and lost a brand new Schrade folder, their version of the Buck 110. The sheath apparently popped open when I was adjusting my jacket. Knife was only a few days old, gift from my wife.

A year or two back I couldn’t find my new Greek fisherman’s hat. I have a bad habit of forgetting hats in restaurants. Spent a week asking around my usual haunts and finally ordered another. When it arrived, my wife pulled my first hat out of a storage box where she had put it for safekeeping. This was after I had mentioned not being able to find the hat several dozen ****ing times, of course.