BrianBM

American made rods

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Another question from the thread about rods being made here. For discussion purposes, exclude flyrods.

St. Croix makes its' higher-end rods, Legends and I think Avid rods, in the US. I think other rods are made in Mexico.

United Composites, which doesn't have a "value priced" line, makes all product here. They are accordingly pricey. Chark likes them, Trophy Tackle in Babylon likes them, I've never used one.

Lami is going to move some product into Mexico from Woodland. Whatever their top end is, I guess it'll be here for awhile.

Talon DID make rods here, but may/may not do so now.

Gary Loomis' current company, the one that drives people nuts with their inability to deliver on schedule, makes their blanks here. The related firm that builds on those blanks, is also here. Both names escaping me now. Brain farts.

Cousins rods were made here but they're kaput, along with AllStar (sigh). Penn is all overseas product. Rainshadow, I assume, uses blanks made overseas.

Is anyone else making complete rods, or blanks, in the USA?

Edited by BrianBM

ah HA!  Seeker ... hadn't thought of them. 

Seeker was, for a time, one of the gold standards of rodmaking. The company went through a change of generations a few years ago, I wonder what their reputation is now.

Generational transitions are always tricky. I've heard several explanations of what happened to Newell, but family fistfights over inheritance seem to be the bottom line.

29 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Gary Loomis' current company, the one that drives people nuts with their inability to deliver on schedule, makes their blanks here. The related firm that builds on those blanks, is also here. Both names escaping me now. Brain farts.

North Fork Composites and Edge!  Love the blanks but can't understand the business model and customer service.  

Edited by Bait Tailer

Odd.  I checked the sites for Trophy Tackle and Charkbait, just to see, and neither Calstar nor Seeker is carried by either store any more. Go figure.

37 mins ago, BrianBM said:

..family fistfights....

The best sort of fistfights. We are a mix of Scotish, Irish, Dutch and French.... The French side do seem to thrive on dramatic family punch-ups

Edited by ZAFisher

I got a friend that was a sales rep and got a job offer and did a interview at "thomas & thomas" the owners knowledge was unbelievable,,,,,,:headscratch: all hand made in the us,,,,,,,:D

10 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Another question from the thread about rods being made here.

Cousins rods were made here but they're kaput, along with AllStar (sigh). Penn is all overseas product.

Is anyone else making complete rods, or blanks, in the USA?

All-Star is not kaput, but they are not US-made any more.

PENN International VI rods are US-made.

17 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Odd.  I checked the sites for Trophy Tackle and Charkbait, just to see, and neither Calstar nor Seeker is carried by either store any more. Go figure.

Both are big on the West Coast.  I'm pretty sure I've seen them in local California tackle shops.

I guess I was lucky to buy my rods years ago, Top notch T&T fly rod Sage, G loomis and st croix Fly rods and spinners and casting rods all US made,way too many LOL. I'll be selling a lot them on this site's Buy and sell forum if the striper situation doesn't change soon.