best fire-line to heavy fluorocarbon knot

Rate this topic

ferret

What test Fireline?  Does it have to be Fireline?

Is this a casting or trolling application? You might need a loop-to-loop connection, easiest to do with hollow braid.

If you have to join light FL to heavy fluoro or mono (mono is usually softer, easier to knot) you can

1) Double the FL or other braid with a looooongg Bimini, 2) use a softer mono (Quattro Pro comes to mind, not Momoi Diamond) or softer fluoro, 3) try a blood knot.

Tying a doubled braid to a traditional knot, is a pain in the ass. Most of mine come out wrong, with too much load on one of the doubled lines. Prepare to swear a lot.

3 mins ago, BrianBM said:

What test Fireline?  Does it have to be Fireline?

Is this a casting or trolling application? You might need a loop-to-loop connection, easiest to do with hollow braid.

If you have to join light FL to heavy fluoro or mono (mono is usually softer, easier to knot) you can

1) Double the FL or other braid with a looooongg Bimini, 2) use a softer mono (Quattro Pro comes to mind, not Momoi Diamond) or softer fluoro, 3) try a blood knot.

Tying a doubled braid to a traditional knot, is a pain in the ass. Most of mine come out wrong, with too much load on one of the doubled lines. Prepare to swear a lot.

I had a big spool of 30# test which really breaks at like 70-80 when new.  Heard that fireline is the line of choice for deep water jiggers.  So Ive been rying to use it on a 10k saragosa as a bft jigging reel.  And every knot I've tried comes out sucky.  Like you said, lots of cursing.  

7 mins ago, ferret said:

And butter and stir really vigorously 

Spell check, rizzuto finish 

Darn.  I was kind of enjoying the idea of pouring chicken stock over terminal tackle.

Now I have to go look up a Rizzuto finish. I don't think I've heard of him in a looonnnngg time.

Edited by BrianBM

5 mins ago, Catch This said:

I have been using the Slim Beauty for at least 5 years with no issues.  Depending on the size of the braid, I will sometimes double the braid.  Once mastered, it is even easy to tie in the dark.

Fireline is not a braid, it is a bonded fiber that has zero stretch.

On a proper fg knot the braid will become stretched out and change colors and become translucent,  this dont happen with fireline

Uni to uni knot solves problems like this for me. I only go up to 50lb with the fireline braid. I don't know if 80lb is harder to work with this knot. Could always do some at home tests with it for self discovery or a double uni.

Edited by flydog777
clarification

5 mins ago, flydog777 said:

Uni to uni knot solves problems like this for me. I only go up to 50lb with the fireline. I don't know if 80lb is harder to work with this knot. Could always do some at home tests with it for self discovery.

Which fireline are referring to? I am using the original which only went up to 30#