Jim A.

Old guy needs suggestion on new baitrunner

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hello everybody, help 

So for about the last 20 years I’ve used, don’t laugh, in a okuma epixor 4500 bait runner.  - I’ve blown through 3 in 20 yrs. .

Fortunately one was defective, and Okuma replaced it, the second I hooked into a seal, that spooled  me in about three seconds, and smoked the reel. this last one has been a good soldier has lasted 10 yrs ..

Last year I bought a pen spin fisher bait runner, well-made real and I like it I did my research on it it seems to be well written up so it’s probably going to become my primary surf reel 

So now I’m looking for a back up, I’m not wild about the pen spin fisher, nice reel .... but I don’t like the multiple settings on the free spool     Any suggestions?   Many thanks Jim 

Shimano baitrunner oc is the best bang for the buck.

I used to run cheep okumas that were great until they blow up.

Never blew up an oc, it does cost double but it will last.

Shimano has always been the leader in Baitrunner reels. I also owned 2 Okuma Epixor reels, the first one lasted a couple years and was used often, actually liked it. I broke the frame on a rock, 2nd one a big bluefish blitz in the CCC cooked it, main shaft was bent and it wouldn't even turn. Can't really fault a cheap reel fighting numerous big fish in current, drag was cranked down and it just couldn't take the pressure. I've had others that were supposed to be better reels crap the bed on far less.

Personally, from one old guy to another, I'd buy a good used Shimano as a backup, best value kind of thinking. 

Lol.  That’s the same thing that happened to me.  The drag was at full stop. It literally smoked.  I’m going to take a look at the shimano tomorrow.  

Enormous fan of the shimano B series baitrunners, (3500 , 4500, 6500).  In fact I have no complaints with the original A series, my 3500 gets used all the time in fresh and salt.  

Shimano Thunnus, shimano B series, or the shimano D series. Not a big fan of the OC. But I have some B series(3500b and 4500b) that has been in use for about 16 or 17 years.

Pretty sure the guts of the OC are the same as the D with the possible exception of the drag washers.

I have put serious mileage on both and will recommend either one.