Surf Guy

Fresh Bait for the Fall Season

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Yes....

no spot but they do carry fre$h bunker for recreational crabbing in that area. 

If your passing by probably ok to pick up some fresh bunker if in stock but expen$ive. 

Another and better option is make a detour in north Delaware and go to Kool ice in Cambridge Md. 50# flats probably $30 now. It will extend your ride by a hour or so but worth it. 

They have spot at times but expensive. Sold on ice at their fish market. You can save a little if you call ahead and tell them not to scale the spot. They always looked not fresh, grey and rough to me. 

Ok, sounds like it will be a detour to Kool I’ve unless there are any other recommendations out there. How about Lewes Ice House or Old Inlet B&T?

Try Dans Tackle Box.

Lewes Harbor will have live spot in season

I call around the day before to find fresh bunker.  Dans is usually my go to as he has them still flipping sometimes.

Masterbaiters gets good fresh bunker as well and ypu can place an order by phone.

About Kool Ice, frozen always available, fresh usually available till mid morning but don’t count on it. Call ahead. Sometimes the fresh is as good as it gets, sometimes it’s garbage. Ask a worker if better is available, if so, tip him. Weather the night before is a big factor if they will have fresh. 

If your looking for bulk amount of bait, it’s probably the way to go. Can get very pricey going through 100# or so on a trip if buying at a bait shop!

Not for nothing... if by fall you mean for reds in end of sept, beg of October.... i try to catch as much bait as possible... i do buy some, but i try to use freshly caught if possible.

I agree completely with catching fresh bait. However my luck is pretty consistent, if I bring bait then the baitfish are biting, if I’m depending on catching my bait there, it’s the “Dead Sea”. 

On 8/9/2020 at 6:09 AM, Captain Ahab said:

Masterbaiters gets good fresh bunker as well and ypu can place an order by phone.

It's worth it just to hear them answer the phone and say "Masterbaiter's.... No one beats our bait!"  :laugh:

Dan's tackle by Valero on rt 1 is your best bet with no detour, if he's out henlopen bait on Savannah rd in lewes is only a slight detour. 

For what reason is there so little fresh bait?  It's not like Bunker comes from China.  Is the demand so great, such fewer bunker, or are fewer people netting for bunker now, or what?  I have visited Bucks like 5 times this summer, and the only time they had any I walked back inside immediately because it was obviously bad.  The flies and the stink shoulda told me not to even open the cooler.  

I have had no problem netting peanuts, but unfortunately that's what we surf fisherman need.  

16 mins ago, Hammy said:

It's not like Bunker comes from China.  Is the demand so great, such fewer bunker, or are fewer people netting for bunker now, or what? 

Hammy ,I can tell you here in S Jersey most of the Comm. Bunker guys switch to crabbing in the summer .Theres just a whole lot more money in it than Bunker.Early in the summer crabs were going for 200-300 bucks a bushel.......Crazy ain't it.

I just figured that the VA gill netters and shore netters (or even the OC commercial fleet) have to get so much bycatch that it'd be an easy sell to someone who wants to make a quick buck and drive up to Chincoteague or Berlin or OC.