nck2412

Spanish Mackerel Morning Bite

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hello, I’m new to the forum and I’ve been fishing for awhile but will admit I’ve just started taking things seriously (basically tired of failure). We tried to hit the morning bite for Spanish every day when we were down in Buxton a couple weeks ago; no luck though. We could see them jumping out out of the water but no bites with our lures. Unfortunately we didn’t try the evening bite until the last day and caught 8 of them. Does anyone have an explanation/experience why they don’t hit in the morning? Was it bad luck? Thanks 

Assuming you fished the same way both times - Could be change in water temp or that your lure color choice was more appealing in the evening. 

3 hours ago, nck2412 said:

How often do you change your lures in either time you fish? 

30-40 casts and then switch. Vary your retrieve. Go from fast to a dead stop and let it sink to bottom, then start again

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you see them jumping, generally speaking, they're harder to catch.  Don't know why, but it's the truth.  Was out at Cape Point one day years ago and you could see acres of them jumping and not a single person on the beach could get one to bite.  Having said that, we've caught a million in the morning blind casting known areas, at first light. Keep trying new colors until you get bit.  Speed kills for Spanish.

Edited by Drumfish420

11 mins ago, Drumfish420 said:

If you see them jumping, generally speaking, they're harder to catch.  Don't know why, but it's the truth.  Was out at Cape Point one day years ago and you could see acres of them jumping and not a single person on the beach could get one to bite.  Having said that, we've caught a million in the morning blind casting known areas, at first light. Keep trying new colors until you get bit.  Speed kills for Spanish.

It’s funny you mention that about the jumping. Every morning like you said they were jumping everywhere and no hits. But, that one evening there was hardly any jumping and it felt like we couldn’t keep them off the line. Alittle off topic, but do you ever get blues to hit the same lures that you use for Spanish? 

If there finicky, use no hardware and 20 lb flouro leader. When they’re jacked up and jumping sometimes ya gotta go albie speed to get em.

other times they’ll hit on the sink in the current...

Posted (edited) · Report post

There were reports from DE & NJ the past few years of them...  Water temp is definitely rising and they are going more north each year.  I think better odds are still further south, but I have heard of great days on them in VA Beach, so Duck is definitely in their range.  Water clarity plays a key role.  If the surf is murky, they will likely hang a bit out of casting range.  If clear or relatively clear, they can be in 2 FOW.

If you happen to be swimming and see schools of glass minnows in the afternoon, good chance they will be in the surf that evening (unless the winds/surf kick up drastically).

Edited by Porktown