Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

One if by land ..... Two if by sea.

Just curious?

How much or what percentage do you fly fish from :

(Wading the shore, stream, coastline)

(Boat, kayak, canoe, float tube)

Very rarely do I wade now, except for trout fishing in the spring, only because I'm waiting for the stripers to arrive.

If I do wade in the salt during the warmer months, it's because of club meetings on the water.

Edited by Capt.Castafly

almost 50/50 these days now that I have a decent fishing kayak,my OK 4.3 was ok for ocean but sucked for local:too fast,got a Jackson Bite,a real barge for maneuverability but I'm not paddling whitewater and I can stand in almost all conditions,just drifting w/ the current,only paddle to adjust position or going through long,flat stretches

Almost all of my freshwater wading outings are for spring and fall trout...otherwise in the salt, I'm usually either standing on dry land or if I am wading, only doing so to get a few feet away from shore to get better angles...but not wading around a flat or anything...all of my freshwater outings during times when saltwater is happening are just half hearted efforts to burn a couple of hours if I don't have time to drive to the salt

90 pct FW is wading. Remainder a drift boat 

my salt used to be 90 pct Wade 

but now it’s 10-20 pct. the rest in my own boat. 

the local Striper fishing literally warranted my getting a boat a numbers of years back to have productive trips   I used to be happy enough wading. 

For all practical purposes I am 100% shore based. I did a week in Belize years ago and maybe 10 trips offshore for fly rod tuna - those are my only boat fly trips. 

90% wading in freshwater.10% dragging leadcore from a johnboat in a couple of Cape ponds in the heat of summer to avoid the beach crowds during the day.100% wading/walking the salt.Anyone looking to buy a Lund 16' Fury w/25hp Honda tiller elec. st. only used in fresh when we lived in Rangeley.Boat ramps on the Cape are a pia.don't need the grief.

On the Cape probably 95% wading beaches, flats and estuaries. I do get out in boats but just don't enjoy it as much as wading.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I fly fish with my kayak 95% of the time but prefer to use the kayak primarily as a wading enhancement bar hopping or moving up and down the marsh.

Boat fishing I don’t enjoy nearly as much mostly because if there is even a modest chop and I need to tie a knot I often get very sea sick - if I’m fishing on a boat its usually for social reasons and I try to prerig a number of flies on looped leaders 

Edited by Beomurf

My fishing in Saltwater is spent about 50/50 between a boat/Jet Si & shore. When I'm on the boat, I'm fly-rodding about 50% of the time I'd say. 90% of that work involves Density Compensated Fast Sinking Head fly-lines because I'm working in fast current. 

I like to look for bird-squalls & then set up near structure or off funnel points on changing tides. Deeper into Tides I'll get down in the water column so I'm working Conventional boat setups with Metals, Bucktails & Rinds or Drop Shot Rigs (Soft Plastics mostly). I'll also huck a 7' spinning rod with the occasional spook or pencil. 

In Saltwater & from Shore I'm fly-rodding about 25% of the time probably, mostly off Jetties or working outflows when Fly-Fishing and when I have tides that are cooperating. Most of that work is split between Density Compensated Fast Sinking fly lines & Intermediates.

If I'm out front, I'm slinging Tins with Conventional surf setups or possibly plugging if conditions dictate the necessity to grab a plug. On days when wind is 20 mph+ I'll just leave the Fly Rod behind entirely. In big surf & current I may sling an Eel on a Wobble Head from time to time also, always on a Conventional surf-setup. 

From Jetties or depending on what kinds of plugs I'm throwing, I may use a spinning reel - mostly for topwater or when I want to impart action with soft plastics, X-Raps or other plugs. I'll also distance cast with both Conventional reels & Spinning reels when necessary. 

If I'm freshwater fly-fishing, I'm 100% fly-rodding & 100% wading. The work is handled by D/C full sink Teeny 130 lines & 9' rods for streamers, longer rods for nymphing & wet flies (10' & longer Single Spey & Double Handers) & longer head floating lines for dries, spinners & emergers (WF & DT). I'll use the Drift boat primarily to get to spots, which I'll then focus on while wading. 

The fat tire bike is mainly how I make a lot of my shore fishing happen so I'll carry 2 or three rods & use the bike just to get me into position. I also use the bike for freshwater fly fishing & I get to a lot of spots with it. 

Initially, my flyfishing was done lake fishing for brookies and smallmouths and all that was from a boat. Then I was heavily into Atlantic salmon fishing for 25 years, mostly on my own (unguided) in the Gaspé and that was all wading. Add to that a few guided trips (Anticosti, Ungava, etc.) where we travelled the rivers by canoes (on the huge George River in the Ungava by freighter canoes and even Zodiacs) but fished mostly by wading. And in the salt, which I began six years ago and where I use only fly rods, it's all wading.