Tranx 300 reel

Rate this topic

Fadetoblack188

I am looking to pick up a Tranx 300 reel for fluking off the boat. Bay and ocean.  I hear good things about it. I have strictly been a conventional reel guy my whole life. But want to give it a shot. 

my question.  Which model do you recommend ? There are a couple. I think I would like the power handle. 

which gear?  The 7.6 or the 5.8??

24 mins ago, Fadetoblack188 said:

I am looking to pick up a Tranx 300 reel for fluking off the boat. Bay and ocean.  I hear good things about it. I have strictly been a conventional reel guy my whole life. But want to give it a shot. 

my question.  Which model do you recommend ? There are a couple. I think I would like the power handle. 

which gear?  The 7.6 or the 5.8??

I have Tranx in 300, 400 and 500. Great casting reels and have had the 500's going on 10 years. For fluking, I would think the higher gear would work well for you. I bought mine for casting purposes. The 500's from a boat for cobia. I have both high and power gear ratios. 300 and 400's for pier fishing. 

Many choices in the low profile reels. My favorite is the Shimano Curado 300 E & EJ. I use those first, then mix in my Tranx every once in a while. More of a preference than anything else. 

Daiwa Lexa's are popular as well.

3 mins ago, Fadetoblack188 said:

I did look into the lexa as well looks like the Tranx has the upper hand 

I owned 2 Lexa’s, their high gear ratios did not feel right to me. Issue with the torque. Sold them both after 1st use. Other guys swear by them. Again, a preference thing.

Get the gear ratio closest to the conventionals you have used in the past. The Lexa 300 is on the small side, more like a 200 class reel. I like the Lexa 400 HS too.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

20 hours ago, Fadetoblack188 said:

I have seen the same statement made on this site several times.

I say go and handle both and then you will see what feels best in your hands.

you know how it is asking about weather a movie is good or not.

you'd have to see it for yourself.

I never buy a reel based on others comments,I'd have to feel it first as I did with my 2 lexa 400's.

although consideration would be added if the reel has a flaw that's detrimental.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

10 hours ago, cheech said:

Get the gear ratio closest to the conventionals you have used in the past. The Lexa 300 is on the small side, more like a 200 class reel. I like the Lexa 400 HS too.

The Tranx reels were a bit small to me. The Tranx 400 seemed closer to the Lexa and Komodo 300s.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

22 hours ago, Fadetoblack188 said:

Depends.

With all the big low pros everything is largely preferance.

I would take a Lexa over a Tranx, but the I would take a Komodo SS over them both. The Tranx is smoother then either reel out of the box, the Abu is the smoothest. The Komodo's with all that stainless steel have a buzz until that hardened metal breaks in then none of the reels can match it for smoothness. The magnetic break on the Lexa is a huge plus for adjustments on tge fly, but only if you are casting.

I actually got rid of all the big low pros I had and replaced them all with more Komodo 471SS's just because I saw no notable differences in overall performance between Diawa, Shimano, Abu, and Okuma. However, the big Komodo 471SS has the best line capacity, a main gear that is rivaled only by the Lexa 400 for size, and a drive train that is entirely stainless steel (the komodos are built like conventionals). So I went with the strongest and most powerful big low pro.