Capecod365

Needlefish?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Iv been throwing everything I can at these fish. Eels, Macks, top water, magic swimmers, buck tails, SP the works. 

Has anyone had any success with Needlefish lures?

CC365

27 mins ago, Capecod365 said:

Iv been throwing everything I can at these fish. Eels, Macks, top water, magic swimmers, buck tails, SP the works. 

Has anyone had any success with Needlefish lures?

CC365

You're throwing mackerel at them?

Seems like you’ve got the bases covered in terms of plugs. A whole tinker Mac on the bottom is definitely a good bet. Eels, swimmers...Not sure a needle would make much of a difference unless distance is needed or rough surf. A 3oz kastmaster is always a good bet, too. 

I’d keep doing what you’re doing except fish nights and eels more (if you’re not already). Needles might make a difference, but between eels and the plugs you have, you should be fine.... IF the fish cooperate 

Im very good with needles ,  i think if you do a search how to work a meedle there  will be a wealth of info.

I have caught very large on them. 

There is an art to it.

Last night I did good on one of my olive and gold hue needles, 

Black with red is deadly allso.

Its a feel thing, once you figure out what they want by various speeds from super fast to slow.

You also need to feel whel the plug is in moving water.    On the beaches pulling over a bar or in a wave. Need to work the lure, 

It could be a pause or a small 4 inch snap of the rod or working lure slower in pulling water. Even right down to your fingers holding the knob of the reel for feel, this is why i kick ass fishing them

Its my favorite lure,   

20200807_220016.jpg

20200807_134825.jpg

Needles are most useful at night, which if you're fishing from shore is the only time to fish for stripers this time of year. The best needles widely available are made by Super Strike (I think), although there are many custom wood versions now available.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Throw a wood needle! I’ve had nights where big bass won’t hit ANYTHING Except a wood needle reeled in with a moderate speed near or at the surface.  No joke.  This night salty and habs needles slowly waked On the surface was the only thing working. 

055791FC-03A7-495A-9DA6-813310FFD9DF.jpeg

Edited by Aaron Barmmer

Picked up my first needle this year, an olive over white Super Strike. Been one of my most successful night lures this season so far and honestly I still feel like I don’t know the right way to use it! I think that’s the beauty of needles, they can be fished a variety of ways and they catch.

Needles are one of, if not, my favorite night time lures. Hooked up using an amber SS needle the other night from a Brewster beach. Typically, I'll use a black Gibbs, but have more variations of needle plugs than any other plug in the bag. Haven't tried them during the day, so I can only speak for them at night. 

If it's at night, a needlefish is right.

But if you're throwing eels at night and not connecting, fair chance your spot is empty. (So long as the conditions there favor using eels)

First needlefish I saw was a Boones I plucked off the line to a trap at Lake Tashmoo, MV, 15yrs old in 1991. I had snagged the trap then hauled the line over to the jetty to get my lure back... found this other lure stuck on the line too.

Was this exact model

Screenshot_20200809-030349_Chrome.jpg.a2136dc6329f65485be17bf6bdf508eb.jpg

Kept it and used it going forward, but eventually lost it. After that I didn't try needlefish again for a loong time, until I read about their utility and put some superstrikes into my rotation.

They work.

years ago I found the night sky before mid July I could do well with(1)black back rebel for a start.(2)pink bomber around 9-930pm,(3)aroundmidnight I switch to a dark john Gibbs needle fish that has caught so many fish that the paint layer is mostly gone on the back end and bass only have little teeth.

After mid July the night light is different and it's tougher to catch off the beach were I fish untill allmost September when I think of another type of setup.