BrianBM

Small baitcaster advice

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

I've been using a 40-year-old Shakespeare President 1980 and 1984 (realistically, Abu 5500 and 6500 knockoffs) for such fishing as I do with 15 lb. braid in SW.  They're pretty well shot. Pity, I'm sentimentally fond of them .... so, recommend me a small baitcaster as a replacement. Assume 200- yards of 10 or 15 lb. braid.

My Lexa 400 is reserved for heavier line and more demanding use, as is an older Calcutta 400.

Pick up a new Shimano DC reel and treat yourself to something new all around....It's not going to last forever...but they're fun...

Don't overthink it like EVERY other reel purchase...just buy it....and fish it until it dies and move on :)

Just now, scoobydoo said:

Pick up a new Shimano DC reel and treat yourself to something new all around....It's not going to last forever...but they're fun...

Don't overthink it like EVERY other reel purchase...just buy it....and fish it until it dies and move on :)

Shimano DC?  I thunk they wuz intolerant of salt water. Have to check them out.

1 min ago, scoobydoo said:

Me? Overthink something? :)

3 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Shimano DC?  I thunk they wuz intolerant of salt water. Have to check them out.

A drop of oil on the important parts early and occassionally...it'll hold up until full maintenance is needed.

It won't last if fished hard in the salt without maintenance.......but how hard are you fishing :) 

Or you can pick up another abu omoto akios..and it'll be like you never bought a new reel.....lol

Daiwa has the perfect reel for you for this, it's called the Coastal TWS, it's a 200 size reel I believe, and the new version has special features that make it even more saltwater resistant. I don't have any experience with it, but I'm sure @scoobydoo can tell you about it. You can also get the original version for an insanely good deal on the big auction site, which is something to consider.

6 hours ago, BrianBM said:

" ..... I treated it like Peter Balish treats his employees ..... " LOL

You don't touch them?

If I had Balish's staff, heh heh, you bet I'd be touching.

What a great character he was. Patrick Stewart has said that he's forever grateful to Star Trek, which made him so well known that he's been able to pick and choose his work ever since. I expect some of the same blessings have fallen on the lesser-known actors who got seven seasons out of GoT, especially Lena Huntley. What a great ice-cold villain she was.

7 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

You don't touch them?

Sent seven hours ago. That means three a.m.  What are you doing on the INternet at that hour? Go back to bed or go fishing!

46 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Sent seven hours ago. That means three a.m.  What are you doing on the INternet at that hour? Go back to bed or go fishing!

I was fishing  Came home to check on a video render that failed 2x previously..FAILED again...changed some parameters....(daiwa bg mq teardown (1hr 53mins 4k 100mbps)  went back out...Scouted a few spots to film a Flashlight video..This one completed successfully.

:)