captnemo58

Setup Snappers for Fluke?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I like using LIVE snappers for fluke bait this time of year. Mainly a surf guy.

I catch my biggest fluke this way. 

My frustration is that i miss a lot of hook ups maybe 7-8 out of 10. If I hook it through the mouth - the fluke bite right up to gills leaving me with just a head. When I hook through the tail end the head disappears ( i do like the swimming action when tail hooked ). Middle hook by top dorsal fin I don't get as much action..

Any suggestions on how you fish snappers or is missing 70% common because of the size of the bait?

7 hours ago, captnemo58 said:

I like using LIVE snappers for fluke bait this time of year. Mainly a surf guy.

I catch my biggest fluke this way. 

My frustration is that i miss a lot of hook ups maybe 7-8 out of 10. If I hook it through the mouth - the fluke bite right up to gills leaving me with just a head. When I hook through the tail end the head disappears ( i do like the swimming action when tail hooked ). Middle hook by top dorsal fin I don't get as much action..

Any suggestions on how you fish snappers or is missing 70% common because of the size of the bait?

Use a fishfinder, let them eat before you set the hook

Since you only get 3 snappers a day...

I’d use them as strip bait. The belly sections are tough and you can get multiple fish on bluefish strips. Might make your limit last longer 

5 hours ago, BobBass said:

I’d use them as strip bait. The belly sections are tough and you can get multiple fish on bluefish strips. Might make your limit last longer 

That sounds like a good idea.

JD

Your snapper blue was probably bite off by a cocktail blue or other creatures. I had that experience where crabs were involved. I caught fluke that swallowed the whole snapper blue and never bite off parts before the hook. I use a single hook and fishfinder rig or bottom rig. Are you on a boat fishing for fluke this way?

10 mins ago, Bluefishmaster said:

Your snapper blue was probably bite off by a cocktail blue or other creatures. I had that experience where crabs were involved. I caught fluke that swallowed the whole snapper blue and never bite off parts before the hook. I use a single hook and fishfinder rig or bottom rig. Are you on a boat fishing for fluke this way?

7 hours ago, BobBass said:

You make a good point about three snappers.

i know the regs are for the long term viability of the species and industry. Blues like weakfish and other species seem to come and go in cycles   

Snapper blues never seem to be in short supply this time of year. Always easy to catch from the bay shoreline. Gator blues are another story. They have not been around in numbers for a few years.

I guess year after year it would be easy to catch 20 -30 Snappers an hour if targeted. They are almost like mullet and peanut bunker in numbers. Since I live line I catch one at a time. I don’t catch another until the first one is gone. My possession is only one at any time. 

Do you know if it is legal to use a game fish for bait in NJ? NY? Never read any clear answers on this always opinions. Shark guys use blues and other fish all the time 

Might be a technicality of not having three in my procession but gives me something to think about concerning conservation of the species 

I saw a video I think by Bob Skinner on filleting a snapper into 5 strips for fluke fishing, That would stretch the usage of the snapper but most likely I would end up catching more shorts and than have to worry about fluke mortality ( I use circle hooks)

34 mins ago, Bluefishmaster said:

Mainly surf fishing

based on how clean the cut is I’m guessing fluke.  If blues based on curvature of the bite I’d be hooking up on them often 

crabs are always a pain. I know when it’s crabs because the bait comes back mangled and not with a clean bite off

2 hours ago, captnemo58 said:

You make a good point about three snappers.

i know the regs are for the long term viability of the species and industry. Blues like weakfish and other species seem to come and go in cycles   

Snapper blues never seem to be in short supply this time of year. Always easy to catch from the bay shoreline. Gator blues are another story. They have not been around in numbers for a few years.

I guess year after year it would be easy to catch 20 -30 Snappers an hour if targeted. They are almost like mullet and peanut bunker in numbers. Since I live line I catch one at a time. I don’t catch another until the first one is gone. My possession is only one at any time. 

Do you know if it is legal to use a game fish for bait in NJ? NY? Never read any clear answers on this always opinions. Shark guys use blues and other fish all the time 

Might be a technicality of not having three in my procession but gives me something to think about concerning conservation of the species 

I saw a video I think by Bob Skinner on filleting a snapper into 5 strips for fluke fishing, That would stretch the usage of the snapper but most likely I would end up catching more shorts and than have to worry about fluke mortality ( I use circle hooks)

It’s three bluefish harvested a day... 

including snappers- obviously they grow up and become gators. 
The regulations are very clear and include the word “snapper”. Is it ok to keep one striper at a time as long as you put it in the fridge and your cooler is empty? No- it’s one striper a day. 

It may not make any sense but I definitely wouldn’t want to throw out illegal bait ideas on the website. But feel free to use 3 a day- or in my opinions strip them. Strip your sea robins too- you can keep dozens of those if you want. It really is a great bait. 

Love sea robins!

bait, ceviche,  sautés and fried !  Best kept secret not sure why people don’t eat them. Gunnards  in Europe -  Same species $8 euros a pound!