mako capt

Concrete Slab Porch Repair?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

My house built in 1960 has a 6' x 12' concrete slab porch and then 5 steps down to the ground.  Over the past 60 years he dirt under the slab has settled out and the slab has cracked into 3 sections.  The one section has sunk about half an inch at the crack creating a very minor tripping hazard and letting water get into the dirt beneath.  Also I don't like how the water sheds.

I'd like to stabilize the slab, seal the cracks and coat the top of the entire slab with concrete of some sort and create a slight pitch so all of the water goes away from the house.  Basically I'd like to add about one inch of new concrete closest to the house and down down to just about nothing at the side furthest from the house.  What would be the right product for this?  Bonding agent or no bonding agent?

You could mud jack the slab.  This will fill all voids under the slab.

After slab is back where it should be use a chisel bit and chip a 3/4" groove along crack and fill with Sika caulking.

If you just want to go with a topping I would pressure wash the crap out of it and then bush hammer it down to 1/4" amplitude.  Then apply a bonding agent.  Follow the manufacturers recommendations  as some are allowed to dry where as others have to be wet on wet.

Good luck

With a possibly 60 year old porch it’s probably not worth trying to patch repair. Skim coating mortar over an existing base doesn’t usually work out well. Maybe get some estimates and do a nice brick patio.

18 hours ago, mako capt said:

Anybody ever foam jacked concrete?  Worth trying?

Saw one attempted a few years ago. The block foundation holding the whole thing up had failed and blew out. Post and part of the roof came down. Was a major disaster as a guy got hurt. 

My advice is to bust it up and haul it out. Check the foundation and footing really well. Codes back then were pretty lax. 

Start over with new fill after being sure the foundation can handle it. Compact the fill, then pour a new slab that pitches correctly. 

If you can't see or be sure that the foundation is good, yer gambling lives and your home.