Steve in Mass

Local Grown Produce in Lieu of Your Own Garden....

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

As many of you know, after nearly 40 years of growing my own vegetables every summer, my health situation (bad back and knees) has precluded me fro doing so the last couple years. And of course I greatly miss it in many ways, including having REAL produce instead of supermarket garbage.

In an attempt to replace it, I can of course go to the local established Farm Stands, which are generally good. In my area, I have 3 of them.

Ward's Berry Farm in Sharon which I have been going to since 1992, and have watched them grow from an outdoor lean-to type place to a full blown Brick and Mortar building complete with a sandwich counter, a smoothie and ice cream bar, and various "hard" specialty groceries. along with their greenhouse and nursery.. And while they are a family farm, their expansion has made it that they are now much more than just family, and I would be willing to bet they employee a few hundred folks between the store help and the farm hands. And while thier products are still very good, their growth and expansion of their business and the popularity of the place (for many it is a family outing with the various pick your own, 4H animals, hay rides, and such) has made for a pretty dramatic increase in prices, some of which are just outlandish in my opinion.

Another is C & C Reading Farm in West Bridgewater, a medium sized family farm....a bit of a ride from me, but I still go there occasionally. They are much like what Ward's used to be, and while a bit more of a structure than a lean-to, it is still pretty much a semi open air (with garage doors) space. Their products are very goes and their prices in general pretty reasonable, although the selection is not as wide as at Ward's.

The third place is Flint Farm in Mansfield. This is only a small wooden structure with an ice cream stand taking up one half and the farm stand taking up the other half. Small family farm whose main staple business is mulch and loam, but they also grow and sell some produce, The selection is fairly limited, but the prices are very reasonable. My biggest complaint with them is that when you buy corn, they do not let you select the ears yourself. you tell them how many you want and they give you a bag of that amount. And while usually it is fine, it is sort of hit or miss, especially for a corn fanatic like myself.

There are two more, one is Volante Farms up in Needham which now is very much like Ward's and not worth the ride unless I happen to be in the area. The other is the White Barn Farm in Wrentham, but this year with Covid, they are only doing "curbside" pick-up, so you don't get to browse the stand and you have to rely on whatever they select for you, which I am not a fan of.

But I HAVE found other alternatives, which I will get to in my next post.

Edited by Steve in Mass

So, to continue......

During my daily errands, I have a habit of taking back "country" roads in the Foxboro/Sharon/Mansfield/Easton/Norton/ North Attleboro area and sometimes beyond, and have begun to discover small roadside produce "stands" which are really nothing more than a folding table or three with excess produce from a family garden, and usually done on the honor system.

This year I have discovered more and more of them....some of them have likely been there in the past, but I think with Covid and people being home and the resultant gardening explosion, many more are popping up around.

One I have known to be there for at least a few years - this guy used to also sell fresh eggs, but last year with his age had to give up the chickens, but still has the garden.

Another is over in Sharon near Lake Massapoag/Borderland State Park, and he does almost strictly tomatoes. First time I saw him was this year. He even has a huge well crafted sign out front that says in big letters 'My Tomatoes" and has a print out of what he has and what he does. He so far has always had a bounty of tomatoes out on his table.

My latest find is one on the far back roads of Foxboro near Cocasset River Park that has likely been there for years, but I rarely have gone down that road. Last week I happened to drive that way, and found a gold mine.

Yesterday, I got all of this for, hold your breath, $3!!!!

Produce.jpg.3e3b72bae18f6356c65a1967704daa53.jpg

And most all of these small individual stands are much cheaper than the formal farm stands. Of course, you have to accept whatever they may have extra of and put out, but you take what you can find.

So it has become a new hobby for me to attempt to seek out these types of places, which is pretty much a hit or miss proposition, as they are not really something you can look up on Google Maps....

Next time I will discuss more of Highlander's questions from the other thread on what I used to grow and now miss..........

Might want to check out Cervelli's farm stand in Rochester, Ma. while you're about. That's where I get my native corn. Very small place, but worth a visit. Thanks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

My main and original one is Moores just ten blocks up the hill from me ( 1/2 mile) on Rt 9 in Berkeley Twsp. Similar family operation for about 60 years. Prices are still reasonable, and Pop found a 33 oz. beauty tomato there last week. Many, many sammiches came from that.  The original shed is still there and operating but they added on a long same sized building and have a florist, a tax guy, a dog groomer, and something else. 

They have ben mobbed every weekend this summer, as usual. But this afternoon I drove by and saw that they were closed. I was shocked to see empty tables.

When I got home I found out why. 

The Shop Rite up here was mobbed like before a snowstorm.

Turns out, a good portion of Lacey Twsp., just south of us, is still out of power due to that storm the other day. Down there, there are a Shop Rite, a walmart, and Aldis, and a Lidl . All still without power. Many thousands of people freaking out about not having enough fresh lettuce. Snowstorm is to milk as craziness is to produce. 

Edited by Ben Lippen

14 hours ago, ribeye said:

Might want to check out Cervelli's farm stand in Rochester, Ma. while you're about. That's where I get my native corn. Very small place, but worth a visit. Thanks.

I think I may have been there once or twice. He had about 3-4 tables under a tent on the side of his driveway? On County Road?

I don't often get down that way, last year I had stopped on my way to go crabbing in Wareham.

If that is the place, it is the type of place I am talking about.

7 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

I think I may have been there once or twice. He had about 3-4 tables under a tent on the side of his driveway? On County Road?

I don't often get down that way, last year I had stopped on my way to go crabbing in Wareham.

If that is the place, it is the type of place I am talking about.

Hi Steve, not the place. It's address is 247 Rounseville  Rd. Rochester, Ma. It appears to have a converted 2 stall garage for the stand and a canopy over a large table outside for the corn. They have a limited selection or artisan canned and pickled products that look interesting and some local meats and sausage. Unfortunately no fresh herbs, critters destroyed most of mine. Thanks.