turkaholic

Northerners and canes

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Been a northerner all my life. You guys know how to deal with hurricanes like no place else. That storm has shut down the northeast. It’s unreal, makes me nervous when we actually get a real storm we’re doomed. No power now in CT since Tuesday. They think maybe this Tuesday everyone will be powered back up. Lol ! What a bunch of liberal idiots up here. Dreaming of living in the keys, looking all the time at real estate. 

Above ground power lines, particularly feeding substations and distributing in neighborhoods, is the biggest problem up north. 

20 years in SW Connecticut, tree-lined neighborhood, ice storms, Sandy, I know. 

The property, taxes and insurance is very expensive in the keys and at times very crowded. When hurricanes approach, it is mayhem. Better value along east and west coast. I'm on an old power grid in WPB, I'm I'm usually out of power 5 to 6 days after a Cat 2 hurricane.

Goes back to when they had the notion to create a shade tree commission, the geniuses put them next to the power and telephone poles and 50-70 years later, this is what happens. 

Can't really fault utility companies except to hear our system is antiquated.  We supposedly took care of those issues years ago, and after Sandy. Shame on them for charging premium rates and worrying more about the stock market than the power system. And they know that many of their preferred customers have back up natural gas generators and love to show them off. I considered one after Sandy, thats 8 years ago, luckily haven't needed one, 2 hours the other day and one time 8 hours. I've decided that next time its over 8 hours, I'm leaving. Easy, get in the car and go. 

19 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

Goes back to when they had the notion to create a shade tree commission, the geniuses put them next to the power and telephone poles and 50-70 years later, this is what happens. 

Can't really fault utility companies except to hear our system is antiquated.  We supposedly took care of those issues years ago, and after Sandy. Shame on them for charging premium rates and worrying more about the stock market than the power system. And they know that many of their preferred customers have back up natural gas generators and love to show them off. I considered one after Sandy, thats 8 years ago, luckily haven't needed one, 2 hours the other day and one time 8 hours. I've decided that next time its over 8 hours, I'm leaving. Easy, get in the car and go. 

Greenwich, just north of the Merritt, Sandy took down 15 trees on my 4 acres (2.5 undeveloped woods). Trees either uprooted or snapped halfway up (microburst twister?).

Our Generac ran for 10 days with me turning it off when we slept. Only had a 330 gallon propane tank put in by prior owner so the gas delivery guy became well compensated. My neighbor had one put in a couple years before and had twin 500 gallon tanks, smart guy. 

I live in PB Gardens in a new community and all services are underground. We have not been tested as yet, so I installed a 22kW Generac here as well. Should do full house including AC with the load management system they installed. Have only needed it once and that was an intentional utility outage. 

As of this time Thursday, Connecticut still had 600,000 customers out with no ETA on restoration. The utility was caught "by surprise" as they had only prepared for a 275,000 customer outage from what I heard. 

Our old neighborhood up there was developed in the 1980s from woods so all the power lines are buried, but fed by traditional poles. 

It’s Saturday and still no power. For that matter still no sign of help at all. People are blocked on the roads with trees and no way to go out and get supplies. Foolish liberal leaders need to be held accountable. Time to stop paying taxes in CT

After the 03'/04' season with direct hits from Jean and Francis on the treasure coast where I live they had to make improvements. Being without power with temperature lows in the 80s at night people can start losing their minds. It took an average of 21 days to get power back up. Another thing that happened was out of state contractors came down and took deposits for work and went back up north without doing the work. Now there is no such thing as a handyman in my county and you can't paint a wall without being a contractor. Each year it gets better as far as the storms go and how we as a community respond to it. 

On 8/8/2020 at 6:32 AM, turkaholic said:

It’s Saturday and still no power. For that matter still no sign of help at all. People are blocked on the roads with trees and no way to go out and get supplies. Foolish liberal leaders need to be held accountable. Time to stop paying taxes in CT

Time to stop blaming liberals for all your woes , man up

My girlfriend insurance on her old house in the keys was 10k a year. 

Nice place to visit since I'm only 6 hours away by car. I wouldn't live there if you paid me.

Rather live in Panama

After sandy I had a discussion with a woman about the lack of power and taking days to come back on. Her idea was to bury all the wires, cost wasn’t a factor because you know the power co would cover it all. No knowledge that the cost would be passed on. 

My response to her was we need to cut down all the trees. The wires don’t knock the trees down, it’s the trees that knock the wires down. No trees no problem. If you ever seen a look on their face of utter disbelief it was priceless. 

She didn't last long with that discussion with me. She was absolutely confused as to my twisted way of logic.