Joeny718

Seasonal Lure Selection

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

New to the surf and want to prepare myself and improve my hookups. 

Can you provide some advice on what lures to use different times of the year (fall.spring,early winter, summer). Interested in  catching all North East species of fish (mostly fluke, stripers, blue fish). Please post specific info (lure  names, weights, etc)

Also any info on lures that work better in rough water compared to calm would be helpful.

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by Joeny718

I think this is a good post.   Can’t wait to hear the massively varied answers lol.  I’m a mess so I won’t comment.

17 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I think this is a good post.   Can’t wait to hear the massively varied answers lol.  I’m a mess so I won’t comment.

LOL! I still would like to hear some feedback from everyone. Let’s hear it! And if you can provide some feedback on why you choose what you do 

Lures for stripers and blues

- early Spring

- 3/8 oz. to 1 oz. white bucktail jigs ( Andrus or Tinman are great) -used with trailer of either white pork rind, Fat cow strip or plastic grub

- 3/8 oz. to 1 oz. bare lead headed jig ( white or un painted) with 3" or 4"pearl Cocahoe minnow

-Mid spring to fall

- Rebel Jumpin' minnow in bone

-5' Yozuri Mag darter in bronze, sardine and black

-Super strike zig zag ( darter) in white, black, yellow, flo yellow.

-Daiwa SP minnow-any color

-Yozuri HD minnow- bone, sardine, pearl candy

-Super strike needle fish- all sizes yellow, flo yellow and black

Lunker city Slug-gos- 6,7 and 9" in pearl and black.

- 3/8 oz. to 2 oz. lead headed bucktail jigs in white with aforementioned trailer

- 4' Red gill ( used as teaser) in black

- 145 mm fast sink Sebile Magic swimmer in pearl, black silver

If you use these you'll catch a lot of fish. I would also look into using a wooden egg and jig rig (jig- small white 1/4 oz. to 1/2 oz. bucktail or similar weight jig with Cocahoe minnow). There is a thread presently on this lure system in SOL main forum.

Good luck.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

@vanstaalsteve very helpful info thank you. I picked up a few of the tsunami sand eels as well. These work well in the fall usually?

Edited by Joeny718

Just basics ,good quality lures,tin especially on a headwind,high low rig with enough weight for distance,a couple different kinds of manufactured baits,pogys,blood worms,etc.Surface poppers/swimmers.one surf bag that doesn't interfere with casting/walking...if you don't catch them with that your skunked for the day

7 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

Just basics ,good quality lures,tin especially on a headwind,high low rig with enough weight for distance,a couple different kinds of manufactured baits,pogys,blood worms,etc.Surface poppers/swimmers.one surf bag that doesn't interfere with casting/walking...if you don't catch them with that your skunked for the day

Thanks for the info. What I’m trying to determine is does make a big difference matching lures to whatever bait Fish is in the water. Are fish striking lures mostly because of the action the lure produces or because they look like a particular bait fish at a certain time of year?

I can catch with tins all year.  Most people seem to shy away from them but give me a Kastmaster and I will catch Fluke, Blues, Stripers, Stingrays, and of course, everyone’s favorite...

The Sea Robbin!

2 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

I can catch with tins all year.  Most people seem to shy away from them but give me a Kastmaster and I will catch Fluke, Blues, Stripers, Stingrays, and of course, everyone’s favorite...

The Sea Robbin!

Can’t go wrong with tins! Sea robins on the other hand lol

Hi lo with manufactured bait on the hi from the sand is the catch all.....just what the catch is ,you never know .Tins are a great lure in any condition......a blitz on the beach with some tin that's good fishing ....

Edited by Surf bomber

Summer and fall throw live eels, you won't go wrong. Keep a couple of darters and bucktails with you as well. 

Edited by Sandbar1

On 8/7/2020 at 0:30 PM, Joeny718 said:

Can’t go wrong with tins! Sea robins on the other hand lol

Sea Robbin charters are coming to a boat basin near you...