foxfai

What was the biggest regret that you bought or sold ?

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

Reel? Rod? Boat?

The biggest regret was back 8 years or so ago, I acquired a Newell 229 to mess around. Decide it sucks, makes too much clicking sound and traded it for a crappy old rod. Then realize they were being discontinued and these are collector items. 

Shimano NASCI- boy did that reel give me problem after problem. I bought the similarly colored Spheros when it released and have been very happy with it.

Spending big money to try out every newfangled reel and rod only to sell them all for a small to moderate loss, then purchase wonderful old school rods and reels.  

Could have done the latter in the first place. 

The blessing was that I found a new hobby.  Rebuilding and modifying reels and building rods from scratch or taring down old vintage rods and building them again.

Penn 525 Tournament Mag - sold it for a song, probably could have gotten double.  Just didn’t realize they’re no longer made and highly sought after by bait and waiters.

And a Loomis 1266S, wish I never sold it.  But I’m in the process of righting that wrong. Found one and am having it re-built!

If we are staying in the realm of fishing probably similar to Birdsnester. Spent and lost way too much on super high end reels and rods that were either too delicate for my fishing style or just not practical for twice a year trips. In terms of regret selling my minty Zeebaas and a VS200 my father bought me that had some Mojo/memories. 

Sold a daiwa saltist bg 30h conventional.  Ended up buying another brand new and they don't make them anymore as far as I know.  Also sold a GRS pike for $65 haha.  Oops

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, jk20a3 said:

If we are staying in the realm of fishing probably similar to Birdsnester. Spent and lost way too much on super high end reels and rods that were either too delicate for my fishing style or just not practical for twice a year trips. In terms of regret selling my minty Zeebaas and a VS200 my father bought me that had some Mojo/memories. 

Boy you had to bring up the stuff Dad bought..  On man, my Dad passed in Arpil of this year.  Back in about 1982 or so, I was out fishing and then horsing around with my buddy on a boat.  We were coming back in to Wantagh Park on Long Island, doing stupid things like doughnuts in the boat.  Well I fell off and so did my dad's rod and 706 Greenie. I never forgave myself for that. 

After he passed I decided to collect Z reels and now have quite a collection.  Some super mint like never used.  Now that I really think about it, I think the reason that I started using vintage gear was in memory of him.  I really am glad that I did though.  Some of the old stuff is really really good...   

Edited by Birdsnester

Fishing-wise?  Dropping even a dime on the hyped up PENN Spinfisher when it first came out.  ELGarbage, as in stinky.

Sort of fishing-wise?

A plane ticket to the Keys for a girlfriend who stiffed me on the eve of the trip.  Her loss after all because I did, nonetheless, have a different woman arrive with me in Islamoroda.  :howdy:

Posted (edited) · Report post

My precious G. Loomis Bucara. Why did I ever let you go. All those bass, tog, and doormat fluke you brought me over the years. You were with me on the boat and you followed me to the beach. You were so versatile. We were inseparable. Nothing compares to you and your beautiful deep purple complexion. I long to feel every single bump on the ocean floor with your ultra sensitive touch. You were so Powerful but we knew how light and sensitive you were underneath. Can’t find a better rod. I long to one day feel your premium cork handles in my hands again. I hope whoever is fishing you now appreciates you. 

Edited by ThirstyOwl III

42 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

Boy you had to bring up the stuff Dad bought..  On man, my Dad passed in Arpil of this year.  Back in about 1982 or so, I was out fishing and then horsing around with my buddy on a boat.  We were coming back in to Wantagh Park on Long Island, doing stupid things like doughnuts in the boat.  Well I fell off and so did my dad's rod and 706 Greenie. I never forgave myself for that. 

After he passed I decided to collect Z reels and now have quite a collection.  Some super mint like never used.  Now that I really think about it, I think the reason that I started using vintage gear was in memory of him.  I really am glad that I did though.  Some of the old stuff is really really good...   

Ah sorry to hear about your father. But as for the Z collection very nice. Definitely great reels to collect, I have two 710s and two 704s with original fire line that come out when I hit the jetty.