FishyAl

Bait Fish ID

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

not seeing any pictures.

But if I have to guess, it's a white perch.

Edited by foxfai

3 mins ago, JEFFSOD said:

Looks like baby herring to me but could possibly be peanut bunker

Baby herring makes sense based on where I was this night. I thought pb initially but look a little too slender and did not see the distinct dots

The interesting thing now would be: How do you "match the hatch" when they are that size?

Easy, use 3" storm shad or equally small bait. I've used freshwater plastics rigged on small jigs on occasion.

Different size baits for different conditions.

I really don't think they are peanut bunker or herring- I put my money on bay anchovies. If one of them had an upright fin I could say for sure, but just based on the jawline and the profile/ coloration I would still bet on it. Silversides don't have that deeper belly profile but it's pretty hard to tell in the picture. 

38 mins ago, Sir Defyable said:

I really don't think they are peanut bunker or herring- I put my money on bay anchovies. If one of them had an upright fin I could say for sure, but just based on the jawline and the profile/ coloration I would still bet on it. Silversides don't have that deeper belly profile but it's pretty hard to tell in the picture. 

I’m pretty sure those aren’t bay anchovies.  This is a bay anchovy.  The  above pic is either peanuts or juvenile herring- tough to tell.

89407F75-B813-4AE9-A63F-2BAF6497C86C.jpeg