CWitek

ASMFC votes to move forward with new striped bass amendment

Rate this topic

124 posts in this topic

8 mins ago, MakoMike said:

As I said earlier, each state gets its share of the commercial quota. So unless you can get some state with a commercial fishery to give its quota to another state, it won’t work.

I don't follow.  I'm wondering if Maryland implemented whatever rules it needed to to make its striper harvest worth $5 a pound instead of $3, and reduced their commercial quota, you'd save over a half million fish but the commercial fishermen would make the same money. 

What I'm trying to narrow down is why Mass and Ct got higher prices for their fish than the other states.  CWitek already noted hook and line yielding a better product is one reason as well as limited days spreading the catch out.  Maybe we should be pressuring Maryland to do the same thing as well as banning gillnetting?

1 hour ago, MAArcher said:

I don't follow.  I'm wondering if Maryland implemented whatever rules it needed to to make its striper harvest worth $5 a pound instead of $3, and reduced their commercial quota, you'd save over a half million fish but the commercial fishermen would make the same money. 

What I'm trying to narrow down is why Mass and Ct got higher prices for their fish than the other states.  CWitek already noted hook and line yielding a better product is one reason as well as limited days spreading the catch out.  Maybe we should be pressuring Maryland to do the same thing as well as banning gillnetting?

IOW, and this is just an example,MD gets a commercial quota of 300,000 pounds, MA gets 200,000 and NY gets 250,000 so if you wanted to give MA more you would have to get MD or NY to give up some of its commercial quota.

CT has no commercial striped bass fishery. I'm pretty sure the idea behind MA, and RI limiting days to during the week was to try and prevent guys like you from using their commercial license. No fishing on weekends put most part timers out of business.

It up to each state to determine what gear is allowable. MD and NY allow gill nets, MA does not.

12 mins ago, MakoMike said:

IOW, and this is just an example,MD gets a commercial quota of 300,000 pounds, MA gets 200,000 and NY gets 250,000 so if you wanted to give MA more you would have to get MD or NY to give up some of its commercial quota.

CT has no commercial striped bass fishery. I'm pretty sure the idea behind MA, and RI limiting days to during the week was to try and prevent guys like you from using their commercial license. No fishing on weekends put most part timers out of business.

It up to each state to determine what gear is allowable. MD and NY allow gill nets, MA does not.

I misunderstood what I was looking at.  In CT striper over 28" and caught legally in other states can be sold into CT, so that's the figure I was looking at.   About 3.4k lbs.   

I think you're incorrect about the week day thing being to avoid part time fishermen, at least in Mass.  When I talked to DMF I was told its to avoid user group conflict on the water, and that was reaffirmed in the public hearing I attended earlier this year.  

22 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Also, not sure where the confusion came from, but I was discussing differences in price per pound not pounds per state, I was trying to see if there's a way you could have states with low value kill less fish for the same or more money.  I'm guessing eliminating the gill net fishery would be the thing that would have the most impact on that since that appears to be the obvious difference and is supported by CWitek's anecdotal evidence.   That and abbreviated fishing weeks moderating supply.