55555s

4 1/8" mag darter vs the others

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I'm a huge fan of the 5" magdarter, and like (but use to a lesser degree) the 6 1/2" version as well.  

I notice that my 4 1/8" magdarter really doesnt have the same action as the others.  far less wiggle and darting action.

Is this just the way it is, a function of the shorter length?  

Thoughts, experiences?

Are you using the same clips and leader with all of them? Maybe a 125# clip and 50lb mono is a little too much for a 4” plug? I have a couple small mags on the way so I’ll be curious to test them out.

2 mins ago, ASrod said:

Are you using the same clips and leader with all of them? Maybe a 125# clip and 50lb mono is a little too much for a 4” plug? I have a couple small mags on the way so I’ll be curious to test them out.

I tend towards lighter gear, but yeah,  I was thinking the same thing nonetheless. 

Maybe 20lb braid and 20lb leader tied direct is inhibiting it?  Maybe having a ring or a loop knot will let the smaller one do its thing more?  

I havent experimented around too much, I just know from using them that the mid sized one is in top 3 rotation, and the little guy barely gets added to the bag.

Big fan of the 5”. The other two not so much. Over the years I have found this to be very common in a plug series. One is THE plug and the others are simply not. 

2 hours ago, redfin said:

Big fan of the 5”. The other two not so much. Over the years I have found this to be very common in a plug series. One is THE plug and the others are simply not. 

So true.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The size if the clip may be the problem with the lack of action and production with the smaller Mag darter. Also, I fish mine with a sparsely dressed 3/0 VMC siwash hook on rear instead of the treble with good results. The 5" model is a staple in the bag and the 6" version is excellent too and has saved many a skunking like the 5".

Edited by VanStaalSteve