ASrod

Heavy duty 11 footer on a budget?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

What’s a solid 11 footer that can handle 6oz and a bunker head, and also drifting out live baits in a current? Budget is around $150 give or take. The reel I’ll be using is a Penn SSVI8500LL. I’m currently looking at some of the Tica rods, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere.

What about a tsunami trophy 2? Ive only used the shorter rods but great for the money. Think they have an 11' 2-6oz  and pretty sure a 12' 3-8oz. 

I been using penn battalion 11’ for few years now chunking toothy critters . 6 and head is def at the top of its limit but I send 6 and chunk with it very well ... if tossing heads your thing I might look at the 12’ ... but rods been great for the 100$ or so I paid for it .. 

Have you fished an 11’ before? I have found for myself at 6’0” that my tops is a 10’, I don’t have the technique or height for an 11’. I don’t get anymore distance with an 11’. Might want to borrow one and give it a go before you invest in one .

2 hours ago, giant basshole said:

Have you fished an 11’ before? I have found for myself at 6’0” that my tops is a 10’, I don’t have the technique or height for an 11’. I don’t get anymore distance with an 11’. Might want to borrow one and give it a go before you invest in one .

Yeah, I’ve tried them. I’m not a fan for plugging but bait fishing is fine. I’m 6’4 and have pretty long arms too.

16 hours ago, Saltfruit said:

Did you check Anglers in naptown?

They had some tica stuff when I went there last. (Month or so ago)

Bought my dolphin there.

I haven’t checked but I’ll message them. I’ll probably go to the store next week or so. The Tackle Box down in SoMD has a bunch of tica rods but nothing heavy duty.

21 hours ago, ASrod said:

What’s a solid 11 footer that can handle 6oz and a bunker head, and also drifting out live baits in a current? Budget is around $150 give or take. The reel I’ll be using is a Penn SSVI8500LL. I’m currently looking at some of the Tica rods, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere.

one of the okuma surf rods or a prevail.

HH