flylikabird

NBC SPORTS BOSTON LAYOFFS 2020

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

The Boston version of NBC Sports canned a bunch of really talented people yesterday.

Canned were Celtics sideline reporter Abby Chin, longtime anchor Gary Tanguay, Celtic reporter A. Sherrod Blakely, BST host Danielle Trotta, and Bruin's insider reporter/Star War's fanatic Joe Hagg's.

Those were just the on air talent that most here in Boston know quite well.

There were a bunch of behind the scene production and producer talent chit canned as well yesterday.

This was a corporate decision from way up high on a national level because of COVID-19's fisting of our modern day sports.

Major league SUXAGE for the city of Boston.

This also effect many other markets as well. 

Edited by flylikabird

Let's face it, these folks are professional readers when it comes to "reporting".

Without sports viewers don't tune in, without viewers advertising dollars go south.  With out advertising...well you get the idea. They had a hunch it was coming.

I'm really surprised they didn't wait for a total collapse of sports.

Yea sure there was a layoff but eventually they're gonna come back.

This time Corporate America took the opportunity to strike while the irons were hot and let go of anyone who's contracts were up.

I've been a victim of this three times  in my life......the first in construction at the end of the eighties, another time in radio on the Los Angeles and the last time in retail sales in the 2000's.

You sure about Haggerty?  He posted a couple pieces today online.  I think he's the best Bruins guy in town, I hope they didn't dump him. 

Haggs was like flounder on animal house. Yesterday's lunch on his tie   

He was wrong more than he was right also.

Haggs and another of the chopped staff will stay on for this current season but afterwards is gone.

Pretty sure Abby Chin the Celtics sideline reporter is not gonna be part of the rest of the Celtic schedule.

Here Chad Finn explains it all way more succinctly........  

NBC Sports Boston has been hit hard by a decision from parent company NBCUniversal to slash its digital and regional cable staffs the past two days.

Nearly 20 on-air, production, and other behind-the-scenes staffers at NBCSB were laid off Monday and Tuesday, including longtime anchor Gary Tanguay, Celtics sideline reporter Abby Chin, and Celtics reporter A. Sherrod Blakely.

Bruins reporter Joe Haggerty, who like Blakely was one of the team-centric reporters the network hired when it relaunched in November 2009, and host Danielle Trotta also were let go.

Among those confirmed to be remaining at the network are hosts Michael Holley and Kyle Draper, Patriots reporter and “Quick Slants” host Tom E. Curran, Patriots reporter Phil Perry, Red Sox reporter John Tomase, Celtics reporter Chris Forsberg, and hosts Trenni Kusnierek, Tom Giles, and DJ Bean.

While programming similar to “Early Edition” and “Boston Sports Tonight” have been cut or reduced at other NBC regional networks, the two shows will remain on the air.

The timing in letting go of Chin and Blakely in particular is curious considering NBCSB is the regional home of the Celtics and the NBA relaunched its season last week after being shut down because of the pandemic.

According to multiple sources, the network may keep some laid-off staffers around for 60 days. Blakely, whose contract is up in October, will stay on through the remainder of the Celtics season before beginning a teaching job at Boston University in the fall. Haggerty will remain through the Bruins’ postseason run.

The decision to cut staff comes from corporate parent NBCUniversal, which also has cut regional staffs in Chicago, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, and San Francisco the past couple of days.

NBCUniversal, which, like other sports media companies, has had to deal with the financial fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic, also cut its NBC Sports digital staff Monday, doing away with its popular “Hardball Talk” baseball blog, among other properties.

NBC Sports Boston confirmed the cuts, but did not provide a statement.

On 8/6/2020 at 6:46 AM, iphish said:

Let's face it, these folks are professional readers when it comes to "reporting".

I disagree whole heartedly.

They're not parrots.

The parrots are manufactured by the restraints of Corporate media dildos.

I saw it happen in radio and pretty sure it works across the board.

Creativity is a beautiful thing and can be squashed very easily by corporate dinks who could care less than what the analyic nerds are telling them what the people really want and not what they could really love!

I watch radio media change across the country as a trend in the late nineties to the point it was parrot driven.   

Gone were the days of real personality driven shows to forced programming filled with spots to people with short attention spans.