EliotGValad

Post-Storm Fishing

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any information about how long after a tropical storm rolls through that fishing typically comes back?

And, does a tropical storm typically push warmer water through and increase the presence of warm water species like mackerel and bonito?

Depends on wind direction, shoreline, etc.

Years ago, up in Connecticut where the shore is largely rocky, I had some of the best blind casting for bluefish that I ever experienced the first fishable day after a storm passed by.

And the largest blue shark that was ever caught on one of my boats was caught in 64 degree water on the last Saturday in July, again the first fishable day after a storm...That water was nearly 15 degrees cooler than what I would normally expect at that time of year, and was blown in by the storm.

Off sandy shorelines, you normally need the weed and sediment to settle out, however long that will take.  Fluke usually shut down after a swell, and might take a couple--or a few--days to start up again.

So there doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Caught bass Wednesday and Thursday. Thursday was one of my best days this season from shore both in size and numbers.

Edited by LowEnd

24 mins ago, John P said:

low end ,what part of NE were you fishing?  Good news that things may have changed up some.

Just a guess but I would say that maybe he was on the south shore. I would think that with the storm there would be plenty of busted up clams washed up on the beach.