How often do you practice casting?

Rate this topic

JohnP

Twice a month, when I'm in Florida. Backcountry Fly Fishers of Naples, FL have a bunch of IFF certified instructors willing to teach their techniques. They will also have a famous fly fisher like Andy Mill, or world champion Steve Rajeff, come and discuss technique as well. 

Edited by mickymac

12 hours ago, Tin Boat said:

When I took up fly fishing in the 1970’s i spent an entire winter going to a nearby football field and practicing left handed casting. By spring I could cast equally with either arm and can do so to this day. 

In the mid 70s a bunch of kids got fly rods   We made contests for distance and accuracy 

one time we recruited a neighborhood cat to swat at the little piece of yarn. 
never mind us the cat got very good at this 

Edited by JohnP

17 hours ago, formula1 said:

I'm very fortunate I have enough property to practice right in my yard (I also have a bow range in my back yard as well...unfortunately NJ is too strict for me to have a firearms range thought...).

Wish I could shoot my bow in the backyard, serious fine if one of my neighbors takes offense and drops a call. Have to drive near an hour for good long range outdoor practice. Practice casting is time on the water, otherwise I do alot of 40ft roll casts into the pool when  swim testing new patterns I just tied.

On 8/5/2020 at 6:14 PM, Highlander1 said:

Every time I go fishing. Unless I'm trying a plug out in a local lake I haven't taken to a field or park in at least 30 years. maybe living 2 minutes from a river and 5 from the ocean makes it a no brainer. Anyway, I'm happy that practice is game conditions.

Same - seems like a lot of my recent trips are casting practice. However, about month or so ago, I did go to the football field of the local school to determine whether a 10 weight intermediate in touch line would load an 8 weight TFO Deer Creek switch rod (it did)...It's the only time I ever  test cast a line that was not either on the water, at a fly show or a fly shop while testing rods...Not really practice, but something similar (I guess...lol)

I don't practice. I just fish. As much as possible. Even when I was working I still fished 2 or 3 days a week. Plus a week in South Andros every year. And 3 weeks vacation in SW. Florida. And trips with a guide for Bonito and Albies in RI every weekend from mid August till mid October. Then Jersey shore until December. All that has changed though since Covid and Cancer retired me this year on March 19. 47 years as a Chef. So far so good with the treatments. My saving grace was buying a shore house and a small 20 ft. CC last fall. Been learning the bay and finding some offshore artificial reefs and putting in some numbers into the Simrad. When the Bonito and Albies show up and the fall run starts(Hopefully better than the last few years) I'll be out on the boat when the weather allows, or on the beach when its 15-20 in your face.

13 hours ago, surfrat59 said:

Wish I could shoot my bow in the backyard, serious fine if one of my neighbors takes offense and drops a call.

My house is on a hill so the drop from my deck to the bottom of the manicured section of lawn is about 20 feet.   Last year, around this time, I put a Block classic in the yard about 30 yards out, and every morning before leaving for work, I would shoot one arrow off the deck into the Block.  It actually proved very useful at replicating real world deer hunting conditions.  

As far as casting practice, I don’t do it if I’ve fished multiple times that week, but if I don’t get out in a week, I definitely head to the local school soccer field or a cove on a nearby reservoir and practice for half an hour.  For grass practice, I have a stuffed yellow perch from IKEA I use as a target.  Got to keep it serious!

Edited by Bjorn240

I never practice with one exception. I am fishing about 60 days a year so I get the best practice there is. In the wind, with the boat moving, or the river current, and the fish moving, etc, etc, etc.

Now the one exception? Before a tarpon fishing trip. Then I will practice several times in the yard because throwing the 12 is an entirely different game than even throwing a 10wt for bull redfish. 12s are just way different tools.

1 hour ago, ifsteve said:

12s are just way different tools

I couldn't agree more! Last year when I started flyfishing in Florida I bought a 12 for Tarpon (my goal is a 100#er). First time casting it (on the front lawn) I said "WTF is this?" and put it away. Last week, up here in Maine, I took it out so I could "get used to it".  Lo and behold after 30 mins I did indeed get off a few 80 foot casts relatively close to my target. Need to be a lot more consistent so practicing I will be doing more of!

Being I live 4 hrs from any beach I find myself practicing with my salt rods often. But, I do have a few great streams and lakes around for the lighter stuff. Battenkill and Hoosick some of the best.

Joe. (Coop) Always in search of Fly-fishing knowledge.

All winter[Jan.-April] 2 days a week and 2 hour sessions in a gym in Chatham.The local club has "time" reserved for close to 12 years.The group will switch off so more than 10 get plenty of time to cast and watch others.Then advise each other on how their stroke can improve.Yes,it's a perfect environment but good for muscle memory.Quite a number of the group have taught themselves to cast with both hands and quite well by April.Rings and stuffed toy fish are displayed around the floor for targets.This has really improved in reducing the habits of too much false casting and line management at differerent  positions on the floor.Also, different rods,lines,leaders,flies[hooks cut at the bend]etc. are brought so lots of testing combinations are available.A lot of fun too.