6’6 or 7 fluke rod

Rate this topic

Fadetoblack188

On 8/9/2020 at 10:04 AM, BrianBM said:

On rod length, a long rod (at least 7 1/2') will let you fish under the boat, from the upcurrent side of the drift, more easily than a short rod. You don't want to abrade your line on the underside of the hill, whatever the platform may be.

Interesting. I almost never intentionally fish under the boat because we fish structure and if you snag you risk breaking your rod and almost never recover the rig (6 pack or party boat). I prefer to cast up current and work back to the boat. Once I’m vertical, a few jigs and reel up and repeat. 

it is true that a longer rod offers a mechanical advantage for casting but it’s not significantly different comparing 78” vs 84”

it’s ok to fish under the boat if you aren’t working snaggy areas

Edited by hookmeup

18 mins ago, hookmeup said:

Interesting. I almost never intentionally fish under the boat because we fish structure and if you snag you risk breaking your rod and almost never recover the rig (6 pack or party boat). I prefer to cast up current and work back to the boat. Once I’m vertical, a few jigs and reel up and repeat. 

it is true that a longer rod offers a mechanical advantage for casting but it’s not significantly different comparing 78” vs 84”

it’s ok to fish under the boat if you aren’t working snaggy areas

Aaahh, but if you're drifting, you might just want to fish under the boat. It's not the casting. A shorter rod is usually easier for casting, if you have to do it underhand. It' the ability to keep the line clear of the hull, and use an extra ounce or two of weight.