CanalRatWannabe

Tips on rust prevention for Lures, Hooks, Hardware etc?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Hi all, Rookie saltwater angler here.

I've been noticing corrosion build up rather quickly on split rings, hooks and various other parts of my lures. All my saltwater tackle is less than two weeks old. When i get home from fishing, i make a point to wipe down both of my rods & reels with a lightly dampened paper towel in order to remove any excess salt. Should i be doing this with my lures as well? Is there an anti-corrosion spray or anti hardware that i should be using on my lures? I have not changed out any of the stock hardware on my lures.

Thank you!

33 mins ago, CanalRatWannabe said:

I've been noticing corrosion build up rather quickly on split rings, hooks and various other parts of my lures. All my saltwater tackle is less than two weeks old. When i get home from fishing, i make a point to wipe down both of my rods & reels with a lightly dampened paper towel in order to remove any excess salt. Should i be doing this with my lures as well? Is there an anti-corrosion spray or anti hardware that i should be using on my lures? I have not changed out any of the stock hardware on my lures.

Thank you!

Except for my reels, I always hosed down my boots, rods and plugs/jigs that I used.  Dampened cloth on the reels.  Left them out to air dry.  

I rinse down everything ! boots and that kind of stuff with the hose outside. Rod, reel, line, lures, plastics, etc., at the sink. Then wipe dry. A light lube of the reel about ever 4th trip or so. 

1 hour ago, CanalRatWannabe said:

Thank you!

Joe has words of advice that I would also spray all of the guides with wd40 , reel and then wipe it down after spraying fresh water softly on the rod and reels I have used. To much water pressure on the reel can drive water inside the reel , which does make for some sticky situations.

9 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Joe has words of advice that I would also spray all of the guides with wd40 , reel and then wipe it down after spraying fresh water softly on the rod and reels I have used...

Carl....not sure about you, but after the season was over I always put a thin layer of Butcher Wax on my rods, wrappings and guides and buffed them down to a high gloss for that extra once of protection. 

1 hour ago, CanalRatWannabe said:

I have not changed out any of the stock hardware on my lures.

Depending on what plugs or lures we're talking about here I would start changing out hardware sooner rather than later. Especially before you loose a nice fish. The majority of plugs on the market come with substandard hardware out of the package. Specifically factory plugs like the SP minnow are rigged with hooks and rings that will bend and pop out of shape with very limited pressure. Usually when your dealing with this stock hardware a little surface rust is going to be the least of your issues.

Right on guys thank you. I will be making a trip to the tackle shop to replace the shoddy hardware as well as rinsing the lures.

Reed - The rust isn't horrendous, but its enough that i'm going to want to take care of it now rather than later

Rinsing off any lures you used with hot water in the sink helps. Putting the plastic rust preventing strips in your tackle boxes also seems to help.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've used a product called "Salt-X" for many years and it works as advertised to remove salt. It's not cheap, not like buying a can of WD-40, but it goes a long ways. You can use on any gear you have, and rinse it off with water. However, you'll need to maintain your reels more often, like check them often to make sure saltwater, or the Salt-X haven't gotten inside. 

A wipe down with it & clean rag will remove most salt, but there's still the chance of it being in places that the rag won't get. So using it in a spray bottle is best for that. But again, it too can get inside a reel. 

Check it out with a search online. They have a big website.

What other suggestions and advice here is all good. You can also get the silica gel packs and place them in with hardware, and lures and they will help, but any metal that salt gets on is going to have some corrosion in time if it stays on for any extended time.  

Edited by Jim H

2 hours ago, CanalRatWannabe said:

Right on guys thank you. I will be making a trip to the tackle shop to replace the shoddy hardware as well as rinsing the lures.

Reed - The rust isn't horrendous, but its enough that i'm going to want to take care of it now rather than later

Pic?

a little surface rust will develop after q trip or 2 usually around the eye of the hook. i wouldn't worry about stuff like this personally. usually it takes an off season for hooks to rust out to an unfishable degree.

1) Replace hardware on most of the "mass produced" type plugs.  Wood plug builders (if supplying hooks) use qulaity material for the most part.  SP, Redfins, bomber, sebile, etc have garbage hardware.

2) Rinse after every outing

3) This is as important as rinsing.  If possible, remove plugs from bag/box and allow to dry quickly in ventilated or sunny area.  But not too much sun lol.

That said, there will almost always be some rust/corrosion.  Variance in metal materials in contact with each other will corrode with moisture and salt (galvanic corrosion).  Not much you can do to stop it but you can slow it down.  With subpar stock materials this happens within 24 hours it seems.

Edited by FoliFish

Been  noticing even my upgraded hardware (VMC trebles/spro splits) corroding, and I try my best to wash everything down after each trip. Again not crazy rust that I'm worried about its structural integrity but still not ideal. What are these plastic sticks? And where can  you buy them maybe throw a few in each box. 

Edited by RyanJ_88