Turkeybacn

Frustration at the canal

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Anyone down the ditch this morning? Ton of fish moved through feeding on topwater, birds all up and down the mainland side. I was on the wrong side as per usual.Anyone know what the F@ck they were eating? I didn't see a single fish caught. Cycled 3.5miles and back. I did foul hook a tiny what I think was a juvenile peanut bunke.

Don’t worry, it’s been tiny 10-12” fish on peanut bunker. Have tried epoxies, kastmasters, and crippled herring and still can’t get them to hit. Friend was kind enough to lend me some flies and couldn’t even get them to hit a float and teaser rig. Much better to just fish bigger profiles and ignore while everyone is casting for the picky fish on top. Don’t get me wrong, will be excited when those PB are larger as well as when the pelagics come through. Not a bad idea to get out though, winter will be here before we know it.

Edited by Searobin

2 hours ago, Searobin said:

Don’t worry, it’s been tiny 10-12” fish on peanut bunker. Have tried epoxies, kastmasters, and crippled herring and still can’t get them to hit. Friend was kind enough to lend me some flies and couldn’t even get them to hit a float and teaser rig. Much better to just fish bigger profiles and ignore while everyone is casting for the picky fish on top. Don’t get me wrong, will be excited when those PB are larger as well as when the pelagics come through. Not a bad idea to get out though, winter will be here before we know it.

Thanks for the info. Saw some larger splashes but yeah the majority did look smaller. Threw everything except my phone at them today. Smaller profile, top water, glide bait, jigs,swimbait. Why did you have to bring up winter =( I believe yesterday was the last sunset after 8pm till next year 

No worries, yeah so hard to hold back the urge to empty everything in the bag when there are fish breaking, even for smaller splashes. Definitely also have seen a few larger splashes mixed in, but I’d guesstimate ~90%-95% are small dinks keyed in 2-3” peanuts so it can be a bit maddening at times.

Definitely has still been a few different baits around so I’d keep throwing top water and jigs, or try fishing underneath those bait schools and see if there are bigger fish cleaning up the scraps. Also stuff like the smaller mag darter might work if you are on the right side and can cast it far enough. Great time to be out on the water, AM and night temps are comfortable and the crowds definitely start to wane out the closer we get into the end of Aug/Sep/Oct. Tight lines!

Edited by Searobin

got a couple schoolies on epoxy jig brown with silver side ..lost a slot size right at shore..buddy got schoolie and lost a good one fishing a gold glider...def picky lil ****s

On 1/28/2021 at 8:34 PM, Sandbar1 said:

When the rain bait was in this fall I had good luck throwing live and dead eels with a micro teaser. Concentrate on the lights and shadows.

Any size?

7 hours ago, tper said:

Any size?

Lot's of shorts on the teasers. A couple better fish go for the eels. The big girls would move through with the tide just before first light. Late October is a special time.

On 1/28/2021 at 8:34 PM, Sandbar1 said:

When the rain bait was in this fall I had good luck throwing live and dead eels with a micro teaser. Concentrate on the lights and shadows.

I had one overnight outing, I think in early October, when the canal was loaded with small bait and schoolies were breaking all night. I couldn't buy a hit on any of my usual lures that produce overnight. However, that night I brought a dozen eels. I was catching schoolies and small slot fish for about 3, 4 hours, until I ran out of eels. 

Stripers never say no to an eel dinner.  :)

On 2/1/2021 at 11:28 AM, zak-striper said:

I had one overnight outing, I think in early October, when the canal was loaded with small bait and schoolies were breaking all night. I couldn't buy a hit on any of my usual lures that produce overnight. However, that night I brought a dozen eels. I was catching schoolies and small slot fish for about 3, 4 hours, until I ran out of eels. 

Stripers never say no to an eel dinner.  :)

Also using a eel skin rig will also allow you to work the edges of the place you set up to fish . Find a light under some normal hole you that has produced in the past and work the eel skin as slow as you can . The present lights have changed how we were once able to make those places very productive , especially during the fall run . Then again one could use small tinker mackerel and let them drift with the current , while you let it travel along the edges Also another way is to use a long balloon and attach it to an eel and see what that does. Insert a light stick inside to see where you are.
Peace and Prayers