Eidz60

Bridgehampton area

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Spending the weekend with the in-laws in Bridgehampton area*. All I want to do is fish. Any help for a trout fisherman? I have the proper gear (I think).

Just need (a lot) of help with the program. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by TimS
Overly specific location removed - general is better :-)

Come on. Isn’t anyone gonna help me out? If any of you were going to the Beaverkill for trout, I’d tell you what’s going on. Big time. Come on. I got a long weekend with the in-laws. Help a guy out. 

We don’t really do the spot burning thing here - if you asked guys what to use, what tides to fish, what to look for, how to catch fish - they’d help you. If you ask guys where to stand they clam up.  Because it isn’t just you they are responding to - it’s the entire internet. And that brings all kinds of problems - litter, noise, garbage, no parking signs, etc, etc. Check out Google Earth, find some spots...go fishing in the interesting looking spots :th: You’ll be fishing, you won’t be trapped with the in-laws and you’ll learn a ton of stuff. Nobody is gonna tell you where to stand, but they will help you with everything else :)

TimS

Not asking where to fish. Asking what to use-- lures? And when to fish-- tides?

I know to head to the sandy area and aim towards the big blue thing..... thank you, C.R.

What am I tossing, and when is a good time to toss it? Thanks!

Freshwater access will be extremely limited as, if I remember correctly,  Southampton limits to residents only unless accompanied by a registered guide. If you are willing to drive back west, there is Connetquot River in Oakdale. Inside the park requires reservations as there are limited "beats" available. Cost is $ 25.00 for 4 hours. South of Montauk Hwy outside park is open to all.It is Tidal. The Carmans River in Shirley is another option. Within Southaven County park requires a permit but south of Montauk Hwy is open to all. It is also tidal. Upper reaches have a decent population of wild and stocked trout, mid river large mouth Bass, Pickerel etc. Lower reaches into bay, schoolie stripers, small blues and fluke.  Kayak rentals are available in the area. There are some state access sites available on Peconic River. Sears Bellows County park also has a pond and I believe rowboat rentals.        

6 hours ago, Eidz60 said:

Thanks.

If I happen to be surf-casting, any thoughts on when is a good time, and what to throw?

Start one hour before sunrise.  After two hours get breakfast.

Tough time of year here with warm water .. either fish middle of night tossing sp minnow or mag darter , or sunrise and sunset with same but add tins and bucktails ..  pretty much your safest bet is some cockstail blues ... or go heavy and toss some chunks .. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

13 hours ago, Eidz60 said:

Not asking where to fish. Asking what to use-- lures? And when to fish-- tides?

I know to head to the sandy area and aim towards the big blue thing..... thank you, C.R.

What am I tossing, and when is a good time to toss it? Thanks!

In all seriousness, this time of year, I would recommend going to the nearest accessible inlet with some tins/various jigs. I think incoming tide is more important than time of day while the water is this warm.

Edited by C.Robin

Things have slowed down for me from the shore over the last few weeks.  The storm has brought some new structure so things might actually be better during your trip.  During daylight hours I search with 1/2 oz bucktails, 4" paddle tails and sand fleas on 3/8 oz jig heads.  I will often add a teaser at sunset if I think shad are around and I want my kids to catch something.  

At this time of the year I would also consider something different then trying to catch a rat stripers at 4am.  Chances are slim and the reward little.

Look up john skinners videos - particularly the one about fluke fishing from the beach.  In Bridge you will likely have more luck with this at time of the year and you can do it all day long.

The second - head to Montauk and get on a party boat like Lazy Bones and do a half day fluke. Fishing will probably be good and it gets you on the water in one of the most beautiful places on earth.  This could easily be a family trip.  If you want to spend more money Contact Paul Dixon or one of the few other montauk fly rod guides.  They are bait and switching big blues and some striped bass right now. Tons of fun.  PM me if you want more info.  Or if you want to do a traditional charter (NON light tackle) ask and guys will give you plenty of recommendations.