Topside2

Epoxy Mistake - Tacky

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I just put an epoxy finish on 12 lures that I recently made.   Unfortunately, either I didn't mix in the proper ratio and/or I didn't mix it up enough.   Now, my lures are tacky/sticky.   Can I just re-coat with a new epoxy finish or do I need to try to remove the tacky layer?  If so, how do I remove it?

20200729_070913.jpg

My guess is like you stated..... either inaccurate measurement of hardener to resin  or not mixing it thoroughly enough.  Also..... what was the room temperature when you applied the epoxy?  When I have had similar situations I give the epoxy several days to see if it will cure any further... If it still feels sticky I would just apply another coat over the existing sticky coat.  These occurrences are a real BUMMER..... as putting all that effort into making a nice plug & then having the finish come out crappy really sucks....

Ditto what Mike says ^^^^^ He knows stuff^^^^^.

I would add that if they don't  cure hard in the next couple of days, do the 2nd coat, and pull it real thin, to get a thinner second coat. Has worked for me!

Very important  to measure equal parts, mix well, scrape the sides and bottom of the container, and some instructions say to pour the mixed epoxy out of the mixing cup into a second.cup, to avoid unmixed epoxy from mixing.

What epoxy did ya use ? Most are messured by volume . I use etex and find it to be not fussy at all .. in bind I have eye balled it and MIX WELL and no issues .. the little medicine syringes ya use to measure out like baby’s medicine is what I use normally 

I don't make plugs, but do use epoxy a lot for such things as fly rod poppers, jigs and epoxy flies. As has been said, it's usually the mix ratio was not correct or incomplete mixing that causes tackiness. When humidity is very high, it can take an extended amount of time to completely cure. 

I don't have it happen often, but have when the epoxy I had was getting older, and we've had a lot of humidity, both have some affect on proper curing. 

I mix often with a cheap plastic bristle hobby brush, since I'm using the epoxy for coating, and will add a drop or two of alcohol which helps get a complete mix, and thins a little so helps extend the working time too. It still sets & cures OK. and although it may weaken the epoxy some, ( I don't know that it does) I've never seen it to be a problem. For bonding, where I want the full strength, I don't thin, but coatings are a different situation. 

I prefer to use ethyl alcohol, as it usually has the least amount of water in it, but isopropyl has also worked. The more water in the alcohol, it causes it to be a cloudy color when mixed, but it will clear up & dry clear and hard, again provided the mix ratio is correct and it is mixed thoroughly. 

if you want to remove the epoxy, use Acetone and a lot of terry cloth rags.  it will strip it down to bare wood but will get it all out, make sure you clean the holes you made as well for the thru wire and belly holes.  I never second guess my mixes, if i feel I didnt measure right (getting distracted in the process, it happens...lol)  I just dump my pours and start over.  not worth having to do all the work to mess it up.  Figure out a process that works for you that follows the instructions to the T.  account for each step and dont shortcut, it will be less headache in the longrun.   I have in the past epoxied over the less tacky coat and that coat seeped its way to the top layer of the new done right coat.  

Thanks for all of the insights.   The epoxy that I used was Loctite Extra Time Professional.   It was pretty old, but unopened.  It was extremely hot and humid when I applied it and ever since.  We are finally experiencing some lower humidity and the tackiness seems to be lessening.   I've ordered some new epoxy and will put on a thin coat and call it good.

Thanks again for all of your help!