Tcx82

Can Lexus Rx350 Awd drive on sand?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hi guys, i want to know if an Lexus Rx350 Awd with offroad tires can drive on the beach at A. I? My previous car 2019 Honda Passport handle fine, but I'm little bit concern with the Lexus since I haven't seen anyone drive on the beach with it yet. 

Sure, give it a shot.

Believe it or not there were rumors about 2 years ago that the State was going to ban AWD vehicle just because of this happening too often. It never really happened.

92DB22F0-EE03-4D49-B19E-0B12A5E632A7.jpeg

4 mins ago, Pierce said:

Never see anyone in my life will take a brand new RX350 to d beach sand.

Oh it not new, it a 2008. But I would take a brand new one too if I could.. Im dieing to go surf fishing. 

7 mins ago, Pierce said:

Never see anyone in my life will take a brand new RX350 to d beach sand.

I once pulled a brand new Porsche off the sand at North Beach on Sandy Hook.

Ground clearance will be your biggest issue. If you really want to try it, be sure to air the tires down, that's the number 1 mistake of everyone who gets stuck on the beach. I've seen many brand new F250 FX4's buried to the door sills, just due to cocky/ignorant owners who think that just because they've got 4wd and good tires, that somehow negates their 8000lb curb weight. I have an 04 ram 1500 and have never been stuck, with all-season tires (great michelin's but certainly not all terrains), and I air down to about 15 psi, gives a large contact patch on the sand. Running the tires that low is fine on the sand though it'll decrease your low ground clearance even more. Smooth throttle control and common sense are key. When you exit the beach, just use a small 12v compressor to bump each tire up to about 20-25 psi then drive to the nearest gas station and fill to their normal spec. Bring a tow strap, shovel, carpet mats, etc (anything you might need to get yourself out or help someone else get you out if stuck). Oh and don't get stuck too close to the water (tides)

4 hours ago, yakscientist said:

Ground clearance will be your biggest issue. If you really want to try it, be sure to air the tires down, that's the number 1 mistake of everyone who gets stuck on the beach.

What yakscientist said is pretty much spot on.  The Passport only has 0.6" inches more of ground clearance, so not that much of a difference.  Tire pressure will likely make more of a difference than having A/T tires.

I just found out that Lexus Rx350 ground clearance is 8.2 inches and Honda passport is 8.1. But Honda had ivtm4 which is pretty nice for offroad. I don't know what type of Awd does the Rx have. 

On 8/5/2020 at 1:13 PM, BitterDave said:

What yakscientist said is pretty much spot on.  The Passport only has 0.6" inches more of ground clearance, so not that much of a difference.  Tire pressure will likely make more of a difference than having A/T tires.

On 8/4/2020 at 11:28 PM, CharlieK said:

Sure, give it a shot.

Believe it or not there were rumors about 2 years ago that the State was going to ban AWD vehicle just because of this happening too often. It never really happened.

92DB22F0-EE03-4D49-B19E-0B12A5E632A7.jpeg

I wonder an offroad would help. Also my