Capefox

Surface irons tackle

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hola, Amigos! What kinds of rods and reels are you using to toss surface irons to big stripers, yellowtails, tuna, etc. from a boat. 

For rod, use an 7- to 10-foot rod for surface iron. Even rods of such length if too heavy might not cast a light lure well; similarly, shorter rods offer better leverage but not peak casting distance.

I like Okuma Shadow Stalker 801H with Penn Fathom 25 but prefers Okuma Shadow Stalker 801XH with a Shimano Tranx.

For budget, I was using a 7ft ugly stick tiger with a Penn Jigmaster 500.

On 8/5/2020 at 8:18 AM, Bluefishmaster said:

For rod, use an 7- to 10-foot rod for surface iron. Even rods of such length if too heavy might not cast a light lure well; similarly, shorter rods offer better leverage but not peak casting distance.

I like Okuma Shadow Stalker 801H with Penn Fathom 25 but prefers Okuma Shadow Stalker 801XH with a Shimano Tranx.

For budget, I was using a 7ft ugly stick tiger with a Penn Jigmaster 500.

How far does one need to cast typically? I can easily cast a 3 oz jig 40 yards with a Penn Spinfisher 8500 and 7 ft jig stick, but I have no idea if this is enough. 

On 8/4/2020 at 3:57 PM, Capefox said:

Hola, Amigos! What kinds of rods and reels are you using to toss surface irons to big stripers, yellowtails, tuna, etc. from a boat. 

A lot depends on what kind of trips you plan to do. For local-ish trips where it is unlikely that you will encounter fish over 50 pounds, a star drag reel is the way to go. The PENN Fathom II FTHII25NSD is a favorite, and is available in both 4.8-1 or 6-1 gear ratios. Depending on if you mostly toss old-school jigs like Salas 7X's, or newer models like JRI's, you may prefer one or the other.

"However" in this weirdest of all years, even the 3/4 day boats out of San Diego now present opportunities for fish in excess of 200 pounds, and 100 pounders don't even merit a second look. A 2-speed is pretty much required, with the PENN Fathom FTH30LD2 popular with those on a budget, or the PENN Torque TRQ30LD2 if the budget is more flexible. 

Absolute bare minimum rod length is 8 feet, and really the rod won't load up to cast light surface iron properly unless its at least 8.5 or 9 feet. 

For me, I did not have to cast far. Most of the fish were near the boat. I chose these rod and reel because of big spinners weight issue and I found bargains for them.

Would it be insane to use a 10 ft surf rod (rated for 17-40 lb line and 2-6 oz lures) matched with a Squall 15 conventional star-drag reel loaded with 280 yards of 50 lb braid for surface irons?