John2211

2oz Gator Spoon and split rings

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Good day forum, 

I will be purchasing the 2oz gator spoons from tackle direct. Wondering what size split ring I need for these. I already have 2 1oz spoons (by Kroc & Sea striker) and I found that the thickness of the 1oz spoon with a 150lb split ring (by Offshore Angler) is a pretty tight fit and leaves the split rings a little stretched... but do-able. Just wanted to know what size (and brand)  you would recommend?

Assuming you are talking about tie off point and not the hook connection, why not use a tactical angler clip?  75 or 100 lb models have a decent gap.

Here are #7, #8, and #9 split rings to show you so you have an idea on what you can use on those spoons.  I take back what I said, for a 2oz spoon, #8 and #9 will fit fine.  I think #7 will flex a little when installing it.

IMG_20200805_142715.jpg

IMG_20200805_142639.jpg

To give you an idea on what it looks like on a jig, here's an old 2oz kastmaster I repurposed and have been using.  It has 2 #8 split rings on it .IMG_20200805_211039.jpg.8bf73d72d6bb7385e9ad40efb86ab2d7.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here's my gator spoon where the rings rusted and I had to clip them off to put on new split rings.  For this jig, I had to use #9 split rings because of how this the metal was.  I tried #8, but had some flex on the ring after it was installed.

IMG_20200805_212517.jpg

Edited by Evil-Bay