codfish

Bad news from Cape Cod

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

One of my favorite things to do is work on my traps at the house and drink my Hog Island beer, went to 3 stores all out of stock, Browns Market said "There is no cans to put the beer in" are they pulling my chain??

DSCF0268.JPG

Edited by codfish

12 hours ago, FEW3 said:

People havent been returning cans because of the virus so there is a shortage of cans to fill.

That's not good

I work in the food packaging industry. Believe it or not there is a shortage of beer cans. One reason due to quarantine requirements more people are staying home still drinking but they are buying cases. Can you imagine how much less draft and long neck cases the beer distributors are selling? All the straight up bars are closed. Bar/Restaurants are open but a lot less people are going. It's a change in demand that the distribution system can not handle. Just like Toilet paper shortage, when a 3 month demand is purchased all in one month it takes time for the system to catch up.

An increase of 25 cents per can or bottle will be passed onto consumer. :manpig:

Apparently recycled cans are still hard to come by. 

D10EF38F-3D7D-4DFB-89B1-7E1994A368FD.png

It is amazing how this stuff works, A couple months ago, beer and soda was a bit short because there was a shortage of CO2, which came about because of decreased gasoline usage and production - the ethanol plants had cut back on making ethanol for the gas, and CO2 is a by-product of ethanol production. And so........

Just heard yesterday that Clorox Wipes will not be widely available for at least another year. ...not because Clorox can't keep up, but because they are having issues get the spun bonded fabric used for the wipes. This has become evident at the supermarkets and such as late, as the wipes they provide on entry have mostly gone from the softer, wetter spun bonded fabric type to a more of a paper type fabric that retain little sanitizer and dries out quickly.

Everything affects everything else......and this is why "The Pretense of Knowledge" never works in making social policy. One can NEVER have enough knowledge to predict what all the side effects of an action will have, only a free market and open exchange of information can determine those things.

On 8/4/2020 at 6:51 PM, FEW3 said:

People havent been returning cans because

..... the local scrap yards in the midwest have been closed

I think it has to do with a spike in demand and the factories and supply chain can not meet the new material demand so quickly. I don't think it has to do with recycling.

Many people used to go to the bars and restaurants and drink out of kegs. With the bars and restaurants closed and more people home they are still drinking and going to the store and buying beverages in cans. This is not just beer. It's all types of beverages sold in cans. 

I haven't had a problem yet. Hopefully not.

The many shortages we've seen are an eye opener. We're not used to it in this country. We're used to being able to get anything whenever we want.