RiverRaider

My Wife Wants Central A/C

Rate this topic

81 posts in this topic

I promised her I would do some  research Into cost and options so here we are (plus I’m bored) 

House has forced hot air (had A/C too... 25 + years ago ) so the duct work is there, cheaper generally than a couple  couple permanent wall models  Ya think? 

Where’s Red? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

I promised her I would do some  research Into cost and options so here we are (plus I’m bored) 

House has forced hot air (had A/C too... 25 + years ago ) so the duct work is there, cheaper generally than a couple  couple permanent wall models  Ya think? 

Where’s Red? 

I've always had good luck with Lennox units.  Get them cleaned and serviced every year (about $80 here in St. Louis), they'll last you 25+ years.

And yes, I think it's cheaper than window units.

Edited by MikeM58

1 min ago, MikeM58 said:

I've always had good luck with Lennox units.  Get them cleaned and serviced every year (about $80 here in St. Louis), they'll last you 25+ years.

And yes, I think it's cheaper than window units.

I was thinking wall units not window, technically not central A/C I guess but something permanent

I have no idea what a small central A/c unit costs :read:

Just now, RiverRaider said:

Using existing ducts outlets etc? 

yes

Replaced a York that was 18 years old

Edited by DerrickT

2 mins ago, DerrickT said:

yes

Replaced a York that was 18 years old

thanks that gives me a good reference point, way more than I thought it might be though 

I scrapped the original unit years and years ago was told it was kaput when I bought the house 

11 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

Where’s Red? 

The only hole in your exterior wall will be the hole that the refrigerant goes to and from the compressor.  Due to the fact that your house used to have it I'm not sure why you'd even entertain the idea of wall units?

1 min ago, rdbass said:

You're talking these:

img-mini-split-product.jpg

By in wall I meant like what in laws have big box type A/C that required  blowing a hole in the wall  To install 

that’s a more modern option pictured  but if I have the ductwork anyway what would be the upside to something like the Fujitsu pictured there I wonder 

7 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

Due to the fact that your house used to have it I'm not sure why you'd even entertain the idea of wall units?

purely looking at cost 

Wondering if wall units are cheaper than replacing the central unit I ditched 

Edited by RiverRaider

1 min ago, jmlandru said:

No don't go ductless. Yer already dikless. Make sure you have adequate return ducts

I’ll leave that determination to the pros